Friday, April 3, 2009

Campaign: Tower II

We find Kazimir and Delfig on the second floor of the watchtower, two nasty four-foot-long slugs moving towards them. The slugs reach out but cannot quite reach our intrepid duo, who prepare to smash an lit oil lantern onto the floor with the intention of sending the slugs back whence they came. Will it work?

Delfig readies his hand; he throws; a hush falls over the room as both lantern and die tumble forward through the air….

28 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Round 2, Delfig tosses the lit lantern...

d20 roll: 8 (ugh, maybe some splash? Not sure what you want for damage?)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Great, now I'm going to be seeing Kazimir and Delfig in 60s Batman/Robin-o-vision... all freakin' day.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: just the mood I'm in, I guess)

I would ask both of you to please roll the post I've just added on combat actions before continuing,
though Delfig can roll another d20.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(This is the third time I've tried to leave this comment - think something is up with my session. Weird Friday.)

d20: 13

Kazimir said...

(OOC: Three rounds to load a crossbow? Gulp. I didn't see anything about a sling. Could I ready it this round and attack next round? If the slugs are too close, Kazimir will strap on his shield and, if time allows, ready his club. No movement.)

Alexis said...

Kazimir,

Yes, the slugs are too close for a sling. Strapping on your shield would take four rounds--one to shift it off your back, and three to strap it to your arm. Attaching/putting on armor is always a long term process.

At any rate, Delfig's lamp fails to make its save, breaks, and burning oil is splashed over everything. While clearly the slugs catch fire, the room is soon full of black smoke, and it is impossible to tell what the final result is.

From splashing oil/fire, Delfig suffers 3 damage and Kazimir suffers 1 damage.

Above you, there is much thumping of feet on the floor.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll hold my shirt in front of my nose/mouth to try and filter out the smoke as best I can, while drawing my long sword. Is there any sort of visibility?

"Kazimir! Help me with these filth!"

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will forget about his shield, then, and get his club ready.

Alexis said...

A bolt will be thrown open above you in the smoky blackness; then the trap door opened. The black billows rush up into the room above.

"What in BLAZES?" shouts someone. It is yet impossible to see anyone through the smoke above you.

In the quick dissipation of the smoke, it is clear that both slugs are blackened husks on the floor, dead.

Kazimir said...

Kazimir says to Delfig, "Go!" Since he has one free hand, he will retrieve the crossbow if it is within arm's length, otherwise he will drab Delfig and make for the door they had tried to open earlier.

Alexis said...

Kazimir,

Roll a d6.

Kazimir said...

(Roll is 5)

Alexis said...

The door is stuck.

"Who goes there?" demands a voice. You can see fairly enough through the dissipated smoke to see two men, crossbows aimed.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Any possibility of cover from the angle of the trap door/size of door to where we're standing against the wall? )

Alexis said...

Delfig,

The tower would be built exactly so that wasn't possible.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Do we only get one chance at the door? We're thinking either flee or surrender, since there's 3 of them and we don't want to end up as bolt pincushions.)

Alexis said...

2 of them.

Yes, there was only time for one chance at the door.

What do you do?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I meant 3 of them that we knew of on the wall - OK, big assumption, I guess, that we were facing the same guards. Maybe not. I'm waiting for Kazimir to respond to my email of suggestion on what to do... it's looking like we're going to try and bluff our way outta this tower... but I want him to know/say yes before doing something...)

Alexis said...

I can only reassure you at this time that these are not the same guards.

Alexis said...

It occurs to me that you would not be able to converse with Kazimir at this time to "create a plan."

One guard will drop a ladder down to your floor, while the other guard will cover you with his crossbow. They will order you to climb the ladder, and "no talking."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Ah crap, I was just typing out a post of what we were going to do.)

OK, I will advance up the ladder.

Alexis said...

Just a warning. I'm going to suspend this session in about twenty minutes, probably until the 9th of April. That's when Anshelm returns, I believe.

The proof-reader for my novel has indicated that she would like a copy of my first three chapters before that date. Since I am at the moment scrambling to find other freelance work, I am putting more emphasis on my writing, and that is going to tie up my weekend and much of early next week. So even though this will be inconvenient for D&D, given that Anshelm is going to be unavailable anyway, this seemed best. I had not wanted to stop in the middle of a combat, but c'est la vie.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Then I guess we'll consider ourselves on one helluva cliffhanger.

Good luck with the novel. We'll see you on the 9th.

Alexis said...

I have to fix this comment, since you are on the level where the side facing the wall would have a door to the top of the wall.

Both guards will be armed as you climb into the room. You're instructed to leave your weapons on the floor and back away from them.

There is another trapdoor above you, with no perceivable exit...from which you may conjecture that there are additional guards who have entered the level above you, pulled up the ladder and closed the trap door.

Neither of the guards seem especially anxious to interrogate or harm you. They are both visibly shaken and pale.

One guard, the one standing next to an arrow slit looking obliquely at the city (there are three in the tower at this level), will keep looking outside, and muttering various curses of disbelief: "Mary Mother of God," and so on.

Once you climb out of the room below you, there's a distant sound, as though of fireworks (though of course your characters would have no experience with such things) being heard at a distance of half a mile or so.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"We were sent to stop this." Delfig says in a low voice. "We need to see Hornung. He's the only one who can help."

Alexis said...

Like I say, no comments. So I'll call it here, I guess.

X.P.: Delfig, with his excellent idea for using the oil lamp, can take 100 X.P. Kazimir, who missed with his crossbow and thus his moment, can take 20 X.P.

Neither bards nor assassins get experience bonuses.

Alexis said...

Ah, Delfig, we posted simultaneously.

I'll give you the guard's answer next week...but its likely they're going to wonder about the bound guard in the bed downstairs.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(And believe it or not, I have an answer for that! *grin*

Thanks for the XP update and thanks for the great game this week. You came back with a vengeance after being sick and I think we might have figured out how to operate a bit better in your universe... when it's collapsing about our ears. We'll see you back after the 9th. The 10th, Good Friday, I'll be out for the holiday.)