Thursday, April 2, 2009

Campaign: Tower

We pick up Delfig and Kazimir inside Dachau's North by NW tower, an unconscious soul bound hand and foot on the floor. A trapdoor in the floor and a door in the wall are the only practical exits, as the trapdoor in the ceiling shows no means of passing.

Gentlemen, you may begin.

(Tiberius and Anshelm continue to operate on the previous post, Slipping Through Dachau)

42 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I put my fingers to my lips to tell Kazimir to remain quiet. I point to the crossbows and make a cutting motion to indicate that Kazimir should cut the strings to disable them. I then turn my attention to the trapdoor in the floor and listen for noises.

(I'm scouting my surroundings to see if there are any threats, then I want to take a quick check of the guy to see who we've hobbled. Once we've got the general idea (and any possible coin *g*) we'll get about to getting out into the streets. The door to the wall feels "safe" in terms that nobody is going to come in on us, with it being barred from our side.)

Alexis said...

Delfig,

Within the bedclothes you'll find a small pouch with 2 s.p. and 14 c.p.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Small prize, but I'll take the pouch and smile at Kazimir.

I'll listen at the door in the floor to see if I hear anything below?

(OOC - with 1E proficiencies in play, does a heavy crossbow takes a separate proficiency versus a light in your campaign?)

Kazimir said...

(OOC, am I correct in thinking that an assassin can use any weapon? If so, Kazimir will take a crossbow and bolts if they are available before disabling the other crossbows)

Alexis said...

(OCC: a crossbow is a crossbow is a crossbow)

Kazimir,

Yes, you can use any weapon. Each of the three quivers hold 20 bolts.

Delfig,

You hear nothing. We checked that yesterday.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - gotcha - so checking at either door uses the same roll. Thanks for the clarification!)

Delfig will take one of the crossbows himself as well as a quiver of 20 bolts. He'll disable the third one.

"I suggest we get to the street. Since this trapdoor seems to lead down and the ladder would seem to give us a way to descend, I suggest we take use of it. Cover me while I take a peek, please."

Delfig will slowly lift the trapdoor to see what he can see below it, as slowly and quietly as he can.

Alexis said...

Delfig,

It is pitch black. Up until now, you've been seeing by virtue of the storm darkened daylight coming through the arrow slits, but below you can see nothing at all without first producing a light source.

There seems to be a musty smell, however.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll shut the door and look at the wooden candlestick. If there's a candle in it, I'll light it and then reopen the door and peer down with the candle.

If there's no candle, I'll see if I can reach the lantern on the ceiling and light that instead, then look.

Alexis said...

There are several candles in the box under the bound man's clothes. There's a flint there also, and after a few practiced flicks you manage to get the candle to light.

A strange thing happens as the candle lights. About eight inches to the left of the lit wick, a ball of smoke appears about the size of a clenched fist, then breaks apart. There do exist some gusts in the tower from the portals (along with a steady moan from the wind), so the smoke puff dissipates at once.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Kazimir, did you see that?"

I'll reopen the trapdoor going down and peer in, also keeping an eye out for more puffs of strange smoke.

(OOC - Why do I keep hearing Han Solo saying "Don't get cocky, kid!"?)

Alexis said...

Below you appears to be a considerable amount of storage. Sacks, large barrels, crates. You'd guess about ten to fourteen tons worth of goods. The floor is fifteen feet below you, and thus about ten feet above the ground outside; there are no exits that you can see. What's more, the walls are clearly thicker here; the store room before is only about fifteen feet in diameter.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll shut the door and sigh "Perhaps another day...".

I'll keep the candle lit, but shove the rest of the candles in my pack and nod to Kazimir. I'll place the lit candle somewhere conveniently out of the way.

"I'm guessing we're doing this the hard way. I'll remove the bar and open the door. You be ready to shoot or bluff who/whatever is on the other side. I think this leads within the wall, but it seems to be our best chance for an exit."

When Kazimir indicates he's ready, I'll do exactly that... carefully lift the bar on the door and open it, if it will open.

Kazimir said...

Kazimir nods and readies the crossbow.

Alexis said...

You each pocket about 5 candles (or Delfig pockets ten if he wants not to share).

Delfig,

As you reach for the door, putting your hand on the bar, another smoke puff appears right in front of your nose, this one about the size of a cantaloupe.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I'll share)

"Kazimir! There's another smoke puff. Sweep around with your hand and see if you feel anything, perhaps invisible!"

What does the cloud do when I blow at it? Is there a smell? Does it seem to be coming from the candle or just around me? I'll move my hand around it to see if I feel anything invisible.

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will lash out with his arm, taking a few steps around the vicinity of the smoke. He will look to see if there are any suddenly appearing footprints, depressions in the floor boards, or anything that might indicate a skulk or other invisible creature.

Alexis said...

You feel nothing invisible or anything solid; the smoke cloud acts exactly like smoke...it is only that it appears as though from "thin air."

Kazimir, the assassin, feels quite certain in his instincts that there is no one in the room with you.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Very odd" I mutter after being reassured by Kazimir. I'll continue to lift the bar on the door and proceed to try and get to the street... and to Hornung.

Alexis said...

I keep forgetting to say,

The wind outside is roaring in almost terrifying tones. You are also feeling a considerable amount of electrical static in the air...just as I'm describing in the other thread.

Alexis said...

(OCC: interesting, since you lift this bar just as Anshelm lifts the other one. I swear, it's coincidence, and has nothing to do with what is happening--you couldn't conceivably know that you and Anshelm are both lifting a bar at the same moment, so don't get distracted by that.

Just as you lift the bar, the sound stops.

All movement of the air stops.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Buy lottery tickets, guys!)

I look wide-eyed at Kazimir... "Get ready!" and I open the door.

Kazimir said...

Kazimir mutters "Deviltry" and covers Delfig with the crossbow.

Alexis said...

All characters at once act as though they are in a dream--it is virtually impossible to move, to push one's hand forward or upwards, to change position. As though time has stopped.

Delfig very very slowly finds lets loose of the bar to tell Kazimir to "get ready" but the words come out very very slowly. Kazimir begins to use his own voice, and can sense how odd it is that his mouth seems to take forever to open and make the word "Deviltry." He forces his arm to aim the crossbow, but the weapon comes into line very very slowly.

There are about six puffs of smoke randomly appearing throughout the room, each the size of a large watermelon, and now dissipating agonizingly slowly.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Really very cool stuff.)

Delfig will continue, however slowly, oddly, to try and open the door and ignore the smoke puffs. He wants to get the hell outta the tower now.

Alexis said...

"Delfig will continue, however slowly, oddly, to try and open the door."

Accepted.

Time continues to pass.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(When you say time continues to pass, is this in the 'slowtime' or that we're back to normal? Is there any progress to opening the door? Does anything seem normal/fast to our perception?)

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will move his head, slowly, and watch the smoke puffs. He is ready to follow Delfig out the door as soon as possible.

Alexis said...

Slow time.

I'm waiting for the other group to react before moving forward, since this effect is city-wide

Alexis said...

I want to catch Delfig before he begins his dreaded commute, so here goes:

All at once time returns to normal.

However, a shock wave begins in the center of town, centered at the blue-green column previously mentioned. Delfig and Kazimir find themselves against the far wall, tangled up on the bed, on top of the bound man. The bar is still in its place, as it proved too heavy for Delfig to lift as quickly as Anshelm lifted his. There is no damage.

Amid many smaller ones, two large puffs of smoke near the floor coalesce into physicality. There are, suddenly, in the room with you, two slugs, each about 4 feet in length, weighing about 50 lbs. They are eyeless, pure white in color, very translucent and they smell, well, awful.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Wow... that's really simply awesome... )

"Kazimir! Are you OK?!" I lift myself and try to pull Kazimir up. "Time to go! Help me with the bar! Hurry!"

If the slugs do not attack, I want to flee the room. If the slugs attack, I'll take defensive positions depending on where we're at and have at these things.

Alexis said...

I'd prefer Kazimir to roll a d6, but I'm not sure he's still out there. Give him twenty minutes, and then I'll have Delfig roll.

Alexis said...

The room is a circle about 4 hexes across, and the slugs are between Delfig/Kazimir and the door. It won't be possible to reach the door without risking being struck.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Thanks for the clarification.

Here's what I'd like to do. If we have the possibility, I'd like to reach the lantern on the ceiling and get it. My thinking is to toss the oil within on them, then toss the candle that's lit on them. Escargo flambe.

If that's not possible, I'm going to move so that the bed is between me and slugs (even if it means jamming my legs between bed and wall and standing with my back to the wall) and shoot the things with my shiny new heavy crossbow.

That's my thought, based on what I'm reading/understanding. Any of that feasible?

Alexis said...

The flambe is practical, provided there is any oil in the lantern. Can't say at the moment if there is or not. The resultant smoke might obscure your vision.

I will accept that Kazimir's crossbow is loaded, as he was covering you at the door, but unless I miss my guess you never indicated that the other crossbow was loaded (will take three rounds to load it).

For the moment, go ahead and roll a d6. We'll catch up with Kazimir later.

Kazimir said...

(Rolled a 6, if my roll is still needed)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

You're right about the crossbow. I'll go with getting the lamp down this round. I'll try to use the longsword to get to it if needed.

My d6 roll... is now irrelevant now that Kazimir posted. *whew*

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will also get to his feet and aim the crossbow at the slugs. Are they moving toward us?
"I'm fine!" he says to Delfig "Do we slay them?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Yes, for God's sake... I can't believe that these aren't but evil things from the gate! I'm going for the lantern.. maybe there will be oil that we can use to burn these things."

Alexis said...

We'll accept Kazimir's d6.

I roll a 1 for initiative, so it goes to the party.

Delfig, it does take a round to get the lamp, and it does have oil. It is easier to throw off the glass and light the oil in the lamp with the candle, than to hope the oil will light after it is thrown.

Kazimir, your action? If an attack, roll d20. A heavy crossbow does 2d6+2 damage. Please remember to specify left or right slug.

Kazimir said...

Kazimir fires at the left slug

(d20 roll is 8, which is doubtful to be a hit, but if it should somehow the damage is 9 points.)

Alexis said...

Kazimir,

I'm afraid that is a miss.

Gentlemen,

Let us leave it there for the day. Kazimir, don't worry if you post irregularly; we will simply run the combat as slowly as necessary, to be sure you get your blows in each round.

We'll begin with one slug moving towards each of you, you both standing on the bed (causing some damage to the poor bastard tied up), and Delfig with the lantern in his hand.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Cliffhanger!

Alexis, that is probably one of the more awesome "Apocalypse" settings that I've seen. Very cool!

And don't worry about Fred... we'll...er... protect him as well as the other group is taking care of the guide. *laugh*)