Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Campaign: Thursday Morning

After a somewhat muted celebration late into the night before (the city is wrecked but we're alive), a significant portion of the city has returned to their homes to sleep. Many are boarded by friends and neighbors, for they have no homes, and many more sleep under the stars or return to their wrecked dwellings to gather what they have in carts or on pack animals. The dawn finds them started on the road to Munich, or Ingolstadt, or Augsburg, to seek out distant relatives, to begin their lives again. Throughout the night those with energy seek out the dead for removal or burial.

The sun's rising on Thursday clarifies the horror for many. As the party rises in Helmunt's establishment, the city guard, the watch and disorganized volunteers work together, picking over the rubble, unearthing bodies, fitfully falling to their knees in shock or pity, then finally lifting the stones in their hands to be loaded onto waiting conveyances. The pit in the Kirche Platz begins to be filled. The front of the church crawls with the populace clearing rubble. Stones as large as a man are fitted with straps, blocks and tackle in preparation for their removal.

It is the beginning of a sad day.

23 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - welcome back.)

I will get up early, leave word with Helmunt for my companions of where I'm at, then go join the cleanup crew to help with the recovery at the cathedral.

I'm listening for any word of Jan, Hornung or (worse yet) my own involvement in this thing.

(I'm also going to be looking to ingratiate myself with any representative of the Merchants Guild, but that's probably thinking a bit ahead of where we're at?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I meant to mention this about Jan the cleric. When you confessed, it was a confession. Which means, he would never speak of it again, not to anyone. Furthermore, when you confess your sins, you are forgiven. Which would mean that the cleric would bear no animosity of any kind against you. These would be tenets of Jan's religion, and breaking them would be as bad as the so-called alignment practices of other campaigns - remembering that I don't use alignments. So you have no worries)

Much of the discussion regarding anyone who might know of or about the merchant's guild concerns the Mayor's election on the 24 May. Delfig did not see the posting in the merchant's hall back when I began this campaign, but it is the 8 of May now.

The only evident member of the guild who is present now is the Councillor Eduard Johannsen. There is little opportunity to approach him, as he directs the collapse of the remaining guild hall.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: I'd like to say "welcome," as well!)

Anshelm wakes a bit earlier than normal. Hearing of Delfig's whereabouts, he decides to break his fast and wait for the others to rouse themselves and make their way to the Pig's common room.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Thanks for the reminder/info. The the cotters did see/hear it all - and drink sometimes has a way of loosening tongues that should be kept silent. So I'll be listening/watchful of any rumors. Did I mention Delfig's a bit paranoid?)

Who is involved in the elections? It'll be interesting to see what they say about the events and how they'll turn it to their political advantage.

I'll continue to assist throughout the morning. I'm listening/looking for anyone who is associated with a merchant or seems friendly to me that I might strike a conversation up with about the happenings of yesterday.

(The ultimate goal is similar to mustard trading - I'm looking for opportunities to get work, do something that might ultimately lead to a merchant or rich person serving as a patron for my art. Long term view, but that's on my mind, so I'll start at step one.)

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will wake next, and wander into the common room, bleary eyed and with a scowl on his face. He will grunt in acknowledgement to Anshelm.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius greets his companions, Anshelm and Kazimir, when he goes down to break his fast. He also thanks Helmunt for the food.

After eating his fill, Tiberius will go down to the Platz to help in whatever way he can.

Alexis said...

Delfig,

(OOC: I think you can trust that Jan has spoken to the cotters – who could not afford drink to loosen their tongues, and who have no credibility with anyone who could harm you. Relax.)

Erich Kinski, one of the more disliked men in Dachau, is dead. There are three former candidates: the present Mayor Martin Folkes, Johannsen and Hornung. Hornung has apparently retracted himself from the candidature, and Folkes is very unlikely to win given recent events.

It is very hard work hauling stones and debris. There is very little energy at the moment for anyone to be speaking of opportunities...though no doubt there are plans at work already, as sleazy people rush to take advantage. No immediate and obvious opportunity is given to you by way of NPC mouth, however.

Tiberius,

Helmunt is very unhappy. He has been told to give food to anyone who requests it free of charge. “This will ruin me!” he shouts ... but he willingly provides breakfast for the trio.

Tiberius will find plenty to do once he enters the square. Things are getting organized.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm turns to Kazimir.

"What say you, friend? Join the physical labor outside or find some other outlet for our talents?"

Kazimir said...

Kazimir snorts. "I loathe few things more than an honest day's work. Too bad all the beasts are slain. Perhaps we ought to help out Delfig and Tiberius...though I'd rather do something more interesting."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Why was Kinski disliked? Was he a merchant? Did Hornung say why he withdrew?

I'll continue working and listening. That's my plan for the day until we're done or until the day is over. If an opportunity presents itself to do something interesting other than hauling the blocks, I'll take it or if I see one of my friends get involved, I'll try to get to their group.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"I knew there was a reason I call you friend," Anshelm says with a grin. "There may be some opportunity we could turn to our advantage after yesterday's chaos...perhaps exploring a while will turn it up. If not, we could join our companions and see if they've found it...."

Alexis said...

Kinski was nominally in charge of the town guard and of tax collection. Point in fact, Johannsen isn't much liked either, as he's seen as very hard line.

(OOC: I don't think I've got it in me to come up with something "interesting." I thought I'd let the party have a day to discuss, ask questions, gather themselves together and so on).

Incidentally, everyone can add 1 hit point for resting last night. If you wish to heal by some other means, you'll need to tithe (see the equipment table under "church").

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Fair enough. As I was typing that last I realized there might not be much out there in that vein, anyway, seeing as how the town's just gone through a near apocalypse....)

Anshelm rises from the table. "Well, Kazimir, let's see what lies in the rubble outside and find what we can find...."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - That's good. Delfig's on his "atonement" by just doing manual labor. If the party joins me or if I manage to get in with them, I'll discuss the events, but otherwise I'm just burning off guilt by sweat.)

What is Johannsen hardline about?

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will gather he belongings and follow Anshelm outside.

"Aye, can't hurt to have a look now, can it?"

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'll pick Kazimir and Anshelm up tomorrow as I figure out something for them to find)

Delfig,

You're not certain. You've heard some general rumors that Johannsen wants a bigger town guard, firmer restrictions regarding foreigners (particular Jews, Gypsies, Poles and Turks) in the town and heavier taxes to be spent on walls. He also wants the Merchant's Guild to be more subordinate to the Rathaus.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Sounds good. I've had three hours of sleep over the past three nights combined so my head's not "all there" today.)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Hm. Interesting. Please correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but the Rathaus is the equivalent of the town council/government? Does the Baron seem to favor any particular candidate?

Has anything been said about Hornung's condition?

I'll continue to work for the rest of the day. At dusk, I'll find out what sort of work is needed for tomorrow. I'll return to the Pig, eat my meal and play for the patrons, hopefully picking up a few coins. I'll try to ad-lib a small tune about Hornung's fight against the demoness, lauding his bravery against the evil spawn. I'll also sing about the bravery of the people who faced an onslaught and are now working hard to rebuild.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will continue helping with the rebuilding and salvage process. He will also keep an eye out for the friends he made the previous day, simply to say hi and so forth.

(OOC: Sorry for the inactivity today.)

Alexis said...

Delfig,

You are not sure at the moment where Hornung is. What would have happened last night, once several members of the upper class of the city found him resting, in your care, would have been an assurance and a promise to let you know, before they took him away. He's within one of the surviving premiere houses, perhaps his own. The guardsman who relieved you of Hornung's care was named Wetzler (last name); he is aware of your location at the Pig. And just to wrap up that last loose string, yes, Helmunt knows you're helping in the square and will send word to you if you are beckoned.

Regarding the Baron,

Contrary to popular opinion, the Baron has little to do, if anything, regarding internal affairs of the town. He is only the local lord of the land; he is paid a tax for the land the city sits on, and a fee for the use of his roads, but beyond that he is immaterial. Yes, the Rathaus is the Town Hall.

Don't leap ahead to far; there will be things that happen long before dusk.

Tiberius,

Don't worry about activity. I'm at home, working on my world, not checking on line much and just trying to get into the swing of things myself.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will put myself on "auto-pilot" and continue to dig/help away until something happens.

Alexis said...

(OOC: While the various aspects of my life come together again, I'm afraid this campaign will be somewhat more sporadic. I will endeavor to start new threads tomorrow regarding the various actions described above. Good luck to you all).

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: No problem here. Take your time and do what needs to be done! It's a bit nuts in this neck of the woods right now, too!)