Friday, April 3, 2009

Campaign: Mizer's House II

Brave Tiberius, whence will thou slay the slug?

As the slug’s skin bubbles forth milky fluid, will Tiberius lift his sword to slash it again? Will Udo be able to crawl away before he is struck again?

And what of Anshelm…who pounds on the door of the house, the slug moving ever nearer, a mere fifteen feet away? Will anyone within hear? Will they rush to aid? Or could it be that the screams emitting throughout the neighborhood suggest that some fate may already have befallen the occupants within?

Is this the end of Zombie Shakespeare?

26 comments:

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: I love it! You just need the cheesy organ music to accompany the words.

(Question: would it be another round to pull out the sling, or could I have the sling out and ready to fire the round after knocking?)

Tiberius said...

Tiberius grits his teeth and stabs at the slug again.

(OOC: Rolled a 4 to hit. Rolled a 5 for damage.)

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

In answer to your question, I produced an entire blog post. It is something I should have published a week ago, but there you go.

Have a read to what I just posted, and we'll begin the next round as applicable. Tiberius should read it also.

The slug is 15' away.

Tiberius,

That's a miss. Udo will scramble away. (rolling dice) He totally fails his morale check (rolled a 3 on 2d6) and does nothing but drag himself in terror along the lane.

The slug attacks Tiberius, rolls an "8" and misses.

Both Anshelm and Tiberius may take action.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(Oh, and much appreciation for the new post)

Tiberius said...

Tiberius, gritting his teeth against the awful smell, will swing again at the slug and retreat a short distance away, following after Udo.

(OOC: I guess my complete actions for this round are attack in melee, withdraw, and move back 5'.

Rolled a 16 to hit. Rolled a 5 for damage.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: In light of your revised response to the new post, I draw the sling. I'm going to be at the door for at least one round.

(Gah, I suppose it's too late to ask if I could have tried the door while banging on it?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: in light of the revised response, we will ignore Anshelm's previous roll to hit).

Anshelm,

You might have had time to try to door, but you failed to suggest that as an option. The slug is now 10' away.

Tiberius,

That is a successful hit. The slug is split up the middle, whereupon it disrupts. The final shape of the thing is much like a large pile of wet, uncooked pure-white sausage, broken apart.

You have barely time to react to that, before you hear a screaming cry of "NOOOO--!" from ahead of you. You get a flash of some form moving at you, but it appears to be the same color and appearance of the buildings. It appears to be almost invisible, in fact.

You react by pulling back, and something moves right past your face without touching you. You cannot make out the exact location of the thing.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Accepted; I wasn't expecting a retroactive action, just more getting the feel of the combat round.)

Anshelm looses a sling bullet at the slug thing, then will move away from it as far as he can (15'?), moving along the perimeter of the courtyard toward the gate and Tiberius.

To-hit: 4 (I'm bringing a new set to work starting Monday)
Damage: 3

Alexis said...

Anshelm will miss with the bullet and move his 15'. Waiting for Tiberius to take his action this round.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius, startled though he is by the thing brushing so closely to his face, helps Udo to his feet and retreats with the guide back to the gate.

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

You have no time for any of that. The thing may be largely invisible, but you are quite clearly in combat with it. As you turn towards Udo, to help him to his feet, and Udo continues to withdraw, you will be attacked again.

Something slaps against your armor, but causes no damage.

Anshelm,

The slug will close the distance to 10' again.

The backdoor of the house will open. A person--difficult to tell the sex--will fall through the portal, collapsing against the door's jamb, a blackened, purpled mass of boiled, burned flesh.

Tiberius said...

Confused by the unseen opponent, Tiberius will give a swing at whatever direction the slap came from.

(OOC: Rolled a 17 to hit. Rolled a 6 for damage.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

($#!+!)

Anshelm loads his sling and will take the rest of his move.

Seeing that the door opened, he will try to keep the slug at missile distance and circle around the monster back to the door.

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

You hear a cry, but you can see nothing. In addition to that, you feel nothing to deny you taking further action as you see fit.

Anshelm,

As the slug is now moving alongside the house, you must move far to the left as you twirl the sling in your hand, keeping the slug at a distance of 15', once it has moved towards you.

Unfortunately, as you move you can see another slug crawling over the body and through the door.

Tiberius said...

Unable to see or feel anything regarding his unseen opponent, Tiberius will retreat further down the lane after Udo.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Just more wow!)

Fire the sling...and move again, correcting course back toward the gate, figuring the person in the door is done for. He's still trying to keep the slug at distance. I figure it'll take a couple rounds to get to the gate at this rate!

To-hit: 20 + 2(DEX)! (Re-roll: 11)
Damage: 2

(OOC: I keep forgetting to add DEX adjustment to the missile roll...are you accounting for that?)

Alexis said...

Udo has reached a doorway and is cowering there.

Tiberius,

You hear scraping as something seems again to be moving again in front of you. A sound emits as the wall next to your head is slapped.

Anshelm,

Two things. I have not been making the DEX adjustment. And when you rolled damage, did you roll a d6 or a d4+1? Because it should have been the latter.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Rolled a d4+1.

I'll account for DEX from now on!

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

The slug takes 4 damage altogether (double damage for the natural 20 rolled), with a distinctive plopping sound that makes you somewhat queasy. It recoils. The other one begins to approach, moving to within 15'.

I await Tiberius' action.

Alexis said...

Just a warning. I'm going to suspend this session in about twenty minutes, probably until the 9th of April. That's when Anshelm returns, I believe.

The proof-reader for my novel has indicated that she would like a copy of my first three chapters before that date. Since I am at the moment scrambling to find other freelance work, I am putting more emphasis on my writing, and that is going to tie up my weekend and much of early next week. So even though this will be inconvenient for D&D, given that Anshelm is going to be unavailable anyway, this seemed best. I had not wanted to stop in the middle of a combat, but c'est la vie.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(Not a problem! Best of luck with the novel. And I'm glad I'm not going to miss out on anything next week!)

Alexis said...

And...

the comments die.

Okay, that's fine. Tiberius was probably pulled away by work or something.

X.P. so far: Anshelm (who has missed hideously and remained as far from direct combat as possible), can take 60 X.P. Tiberius can take 160 X.P.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will swing at the source of the sound.

(OOC: Sorry, I was at lunch. Good luck with the novel, and see you next week!

Rolled a 5 to hit. Rolled a 6 for damage.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Is that in addition to the 60 XP already awarded or is that a total?)

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

That is additional experience. I won't be keeping track of anyone's X.P.; I'll just reward the earned additions when appropriate.

Tiberius,

Noted. That's a miss. We'll pick it up next time.