Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Campaign: Slipping Through Dachau

The guide, Udo, shows the way to the stable. You climb into the loft, and Udo opens the shutters on a side window. It opens with a bang. To remind you, there’s quite a wind blowing; the sky is blue-black with storm clouds, flashing with sheet lightning. The window is about 25’ above the street.

(OCC: a fall would cause 3-18 + (3-18/2) damage)

Udo demonstrates how, by sitting on the window sill with your back towards the street, you can reach up, grab the eave and pull yourself up so your feet are on the sill. Then he scrambles up onto the ceiling and out of sight.

75 comments:

Tiberius said...

Despite his misgivings, Tiberius scrambles after Udo.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm chuckles at Tiberius' discomfort and follows the other two.

(OOC: Climb checks needed?)

Alexis said...

Tiberius needs to roll a d20.

Anshelm needs to roll a d100

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Yikes...83

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Rolled a 7.)

Alexis said...

Tiberius climbs out and quite confidently pulls himself onto the roof. While Anshelm does the same, Udo will indicate the passage they'll take. He'll point at the city wall, about two hundred yards away. "We should keep low," he shout over the wind. "In this darkness I doubt anyone will see us."

Tiberius and Anshelm look over the roofs. Some of them are fairly steep, but the spaces between are typically only three or four feet, not much distance to jump. Udo will lead on, here and there pointing out where the tiles are loose and should be avoided.

You can both see guards in the streets below, typically a 30 foot drop, either moving in groups of four or five or actually hassling residents. It's become clear that house to house searches are underway, but for what reason you can't guess.

After crossing about a dozen roofs, you near the avenue that heads to the East Gate: Schliessheimer Street. At this point you will have to drop to the ground and make your way across--the gap is about ten yards. Udo will indicate an iron frame protecting a pottery waterspout as a means of getting down.

I need Anshelm to roll a d100.

(OCC: Something has occurred to me lately about die throws. I suppose it bothers me more than I've mentioned that I can't see the dice. But I have a solution. I will roll a d6 also; if the d6 indicates a 4, 5 or 6, then I will reverse the number of whatever total you roll. For example, if you rolled a d20 to hit, and got a 15, and I rolled a 4, then the 15 would be treated as though it were a '6'. On a d100, the reverse of 50 is 51, the reverse of 56 is 45 and so on.

Of course, this means you'll have to trust me, but I have nothing to gain or lose one way or the other, whereas obviously a wrong roll at the wrong time can kill your character. I don't like online rolling programs and this seems a reasonable alternative. I'm open to reconsider if there is much protesting about it--but it would tend to keep people honest.)

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Sounds good to me.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

32.

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

The roll was not sufficient to indicate just exactly what it is that's bothering you. But something is wrong. Not with Udo, or with what the three of you intend to do, but the sense that you are not strictly alone.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

As he, Tiberius and Udo pick their way across the rooftops, Anshelm pauses every few seconds, throwing glances back over his shoulder, to either side, even upward. After a short while, he taps Tiberius on the shoulder.

"Something's...near. I don't know what and I don't know where, but I feel that we're being watched...followed, maybe. Have you a way to find out who or what they might be?"

After another glance around, he adds, "I've had these feelings and have been right before."

Tiberius said...

OOC: Is there a good place to set an ambush on anyone who might be following us? Preferably on the ground?

Alexis said...

Do you wish to make your way down the pipe's iron frame? There is a fair wind blowing along the street below, and the guards may be expected to be somewhat distracted; Udo suggests that this is the time, as no guard is right now within a hundred feet of the pipe's base.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"If this is the only chance we have to surprise who- -- or what- -- ever is trailing us, I say we'd do best to take it."

Tiberius said...

"Let's get down below before we deal with that," Tiberius says. He will go down the pipe as Udo directed.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Yeah, forgot to mention that I'm going down the pipe!)

Alexis said...

Tiberius, I'll need a d20.

Anshelm, I'll need a d100.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

75

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Rolled a 5.)

Alexis said...

Tiberius first reaches the ground at the corner of the building--it appears, upon descending, to be some kind of warehouse. There is a narrow lane which enters the Street at just this point, no more than six feet wide. I will presume (perhaps unfairly), that Tiberius conceals himself in the shadow there as Anshelm descends.

We'll dispense with the typical cliche of guards coming and having a chat at the bottom of the pipe while Tiberius hides and Anshelm dangles over their heads...rather, Anshelm drops to the street as well, to be soon followed by Udo.

In both directions the guards still seem distracted. Udo points at a lane's entrance, some forty feet away, across Schleisheimer Street. About a hundred yards away you can see the East Gate. The Merchant's Quarter begins on the other side of the street facing you.

Udo doesn't wait this time...he scampers quickly across the street, not bothering to keep low, and soon pops into the other lane.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm glances at Tiberius, takes a quick look up and down the street, and follows Udo.

Tiberius said...

After a quick glance both ways down the street, Tiberius follows after the pair.

Alexis said...

(rolling dice)

You seem to have accomplished the run unobserved.

This new lane is eight feet wide and divided into two raised (about a foot) block sidewalks and a drain down the middle. The drain makes you think of the rain that still has not begun (not even a splatter), though the wind is enough to grab at your body whenever you're exposed to it.

The lane is smooth on both sides, curving steadily to the right, with several doorways. Udo begins along one of the walks. He slips a dagger out of his cloak.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"Expecting danger, Udo?" Anshelm says in a low voice.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Also unsheathing my sword)

Tiberius said...

"You did say you felt you were being followed, didn't you, Anshelm?" Tiberius asks. He unsheathes his sword as well.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"Indeed," answers Anshelm with a raised eyebrow. He follows Udo, sticking close to the walls, doorways and any other cover/concealment offered by the lane.

(If you allow it while moving, he's trying to hide in shadows.)

Tiberius said...

Tiberius follows closely after the pair, keeping an eye behind him.

Alexis said...

I'll need Anshelm to throw a d100.

I'll need Tiberius to throw a d6.

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Rolled a 1.)

Alexis said...

(OCC: Something I was reading last night is vaguely applicable in this situation, and it occurs to me that I should throw it in here. Very often houses in this period were sold according to their frontage, and not according to their overall square footage. For this reason, houses were often as narrow as 13 to 17 feet wide, but up to fifty, even a hundred feet deep. This is relevant only in that the doors you are passing are about 18 to 22 feet apart, on both sides of the lane, each door representing an individual property)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(ARGH! Rolled a 56. I should know better at 1st level...)

(Interesting tidbit!)

Alexis said...

Okay,

Anshelm does not hide in shadows, and Tiberius' roll indicates that the party is surprised.

Tiberius is pulling up the rear (being the second one to say he's following Udo), so he is nearest to the door when it opens. Two watchmen (privately paid city guards) in uniforms come tumbling out of a door, wishing persons inside the house well before closing the door and suddenly being face to face with the fighter/mage.

They are not surprised.

Which is to say, they are surprised, as anyone would have to be, but they are not AS surprised as Tiberius and the others.

For a moment both groups stand in the swirling wind and gawk at one another.

Whereupon the guards poise their weapons (they are carrying fauchards...8' polearms) and demand to know who you are and your business.

At that point you cease to be surprised.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius takes a moment to recover from his surprise before identifying himself and his companions and explaining the nature of their task. He tells the guards that he is delivering a message to Herr Mizer, a merchant who lives in the quarter.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm, well aware he's not at all a charmer, holds his tongue.

Alexis said...

(OCC: Eventually, Tiberius, I'm going to convince you that the powers that be do not care about your personal problems. These are merchant-paid guardsmen in the merchant's quarter who do not recognize you, not as an employee of any member of the Guild or as anyone with the right to be where you are right now)

First Guard: "Oh yeah? Then why ain't we seen you before?"

Second Guard: "Sounds like a looter to me."

Tiberius, roll a d6.

Alexis said...

Oh, forgot to mention.

YOU STILL HAVE WEAPONS DRAWN!

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Rolled a 3.)

"Earlier today I had a chunk of plaster thrown at me. Forgive me if I'm a little cautious."

Tiberius tells that guards that he has legitimate papers, and if they will give him a moment to get them out of his pack, he will sheathe his sword and produce them with haste.

Alexis said...

The guards thrust at you, but you have initiative. You have three seconds...so not enough time for a spell.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: is it even worth trying to get them to listen or are we engaged at this point?)

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

They've pretty much decided to engage you. Can't say at this point whether or not they intend to fight to subdue yet, but that is probably their intent.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will move a safe distance away with Anshelm between him and the guards. Once that course of action is taken, he will cast Charm Person at one of the guards.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm moves in front of Tiberius, keeping his blade down as the guards approach.

"We can explain all of this if you'd allow us," he says, "We've important information about the horse killings."

(OOC: Probably won't work, I know. If the guards keep coming, Anshelm goes into his fighting stance and will likewise strike to subdue only.)

Alexis said...

"Tiberius will move a safe distance away with Anshelm between him and the guards. Once that course of action is taken, he will cast Charm Person at one of the guards."

This is impossible in the space of three seconds. I just finished telling you that you do not have time for a spell. You are being attacked by two persons with 8' polearms. You cannot "move to a safe distance"--there's no such thing. You have time to defend yourself or be cut to pieces.

I will interpret your statement as a decision to attempt to withdraw from combat. As such, according to the rules, they will have an opportunity to attack before you do so.

Anshelm,

Again. 3 seconds. You have enough time to move forward and get out the words, "we can explain all of this if you'd--" You did not indicate that you attack, so at that point the two guards will.

(rolling dice)

Both attack Tiberius.

(rolling dice)

D20: I roll a 9 and a 19. One hits. 4 damage. This will reduce Tiberius to 7hp and will stun him for one round, during which time he can take no action.

Anshelm has one round (6 seconds) to respond.

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Sorry, I didn't expect the above to take only one round. I was only outlining my plan of action over the next few rounds.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: I thought I had made it clear I would "strike to subdue," but eff it. We're in.)

I strike back. To subdue only.

Roll is a 15.

Alexis said...

A 15 will hit. Roll damage.

(OCC: Each attack you might as well roll damage whether you hit or not, as this will save us on posts. The damage number will simply be ignored if you miss. Remember to roll a d20 again after any natural 20s).

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Makes sense!)

Damage roll = 4

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Do we roll extra die in the case of a natural 1, because of your flip system?)

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

Depends on your weapon. If it is an ordinary weapon, the next roll would be a d6. Your hard-forged sword would be a d8. A second "1" indicates a break.

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

You cut your opponent across the top of his thigh and he falls back (stunned). The other guardsman shouts out, but in the wind and the thunder, the sound it pretty much lost. He swings (and this is bad luck for him), rolls a 1 on a d20, rolls a 1 on a d6 and his fauchard breaks.

Since both opponents are incapable of responding, both Anshelm and Tiberius may take action.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Sorry for the deletion)

Anshelm advances on the stunned guard.

Again, striking to subdue; I don't want a death on my hands.

I rol...a 3. :\

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Where is our guide, btw?)

Tiberius said...

Tiberius, furious at getting hit, will strike to subdue at the guard with the broken fauchard.

(OOC: Rolled 14 to hit. Rolled 6 for damage.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Argh, sorry for the multiple posts. Just in case Alexis' d6 favors me, I rolled a 3 for damage)

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

Yes, you missed.

Guide? What guide?

Tiberius,

The butt of your sword connects with the watchman's jaw and he spins around before dropping to the walk. He's not subdued, however.

The other watchman will catch Anshelm a glancing blow, causing only 1 damage. This would stun up to 4 hit points; Anshelm had 12 and is not stunned...he is however reduced to 11.

Both Anshelm and Tiberius may act.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Udo! Where's Udo?)

Anshelm grimaces and takes another swing to subdue.

Cripes, a 2.

In case the hit connects, I got a 3 for damage.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius swings to subdue again.

(OOC: Rolled a 12 to hit. Rolled a 7 for damage.)

Alexis said...

The 2 misses for Anshelm and the 12 misses for Tiberius. The unarmed watchman dodges back, and will slip a handaxe off his belt and regain his footing. We'll pick up with the watchman attacking with his fauchard.

Hate to leave you fellows in the middle of this combat, but I am screwed for the rest of the day.

Anshelm, I'll make provisions for next week when you're gone.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Hope things are okay on your end. Really loving this, and I'm not happy that I'm going to be gone for 2 days next week!

(but...what happened to Udo?!)

Alexis said...

The watchman with his fauchard attacks Tiberius, butting him with the end of the polearm. He rolls a 13; Tiberius is AC 10 and is hit. The polearm causes 6 damage, leaving Tiberius with 1 hit point and stunned for one round. Tiberius is spun around and tumbles onto his back.

Anshelm, your move.

Tiberius said...

(OOC: I'm thought I cast Armor, making my AC 2 better. That still hits, though. The relevant link is here.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

I try for the fauchard-armed guard, attempting to get between him and Tiberius.

Attack roll (again for subdual) = 8 (sunnuva...)

Damage (just in case) = 5

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

My apologies, I missed that.

Okay, you had 9 armor points; I've done 10 damage to you altogether. So you are at 10 hit points and not stunned.

Alexis said...

Anshelm, that will miss.

Waiting for Tiberius to take an action.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will attack to subdue the guard.

(OOC: Rolled a 16 to hit. Rolled a 2 for damage.)

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

Your guard wheezes out a last grunt and goes down, unconcious. The other guard

(rolling dice)

maintains his morale and decides to attack. Clearly he considers Tiberius to be the greater threat, and he will whirl in the narrow alley to slash with his fauchard. The attack is very real, now, not attacking to subdue:

Unfortunately for him, he rolls a 1. His fauchard meets your sword and falls out of his hands. It does not break, but he suddenly finds himself unarmed and facing two opponents.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm menaces the unarmed guard with his sword and says, "Surrender now!"

If the guard doesn't do so, he'll swing to subdue...rolling a 17 to-hit and 4 damage.

If the guard surrenders, Anshelm will move quickly to restrain him and ask Tiberius if he has some rope...

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will also shout at the guard to surrender. If the guard does not do so, Tiberius swings to subdue.

(OOC: Tiberius doesn't have any rope. He rolled a 10 to hit and a 1 for damage.)

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

Problem is, you can only do one thing or the other.

He surrenders, but if he had not, you would be giving him a chance to draw his axe and swing it; but that is neither here nor there.

He will submit to being bound.

Something has changed. The wind is shifting...whereas before it was sweeping from every direction, as in a storm, it has begun to blow steadily through the alley from the direction you've come.

A quick check of both bodies will reveal no wealth, only their clothes, their studded leather armor, the two hand axes and the one fauchard. Whatever valuables they had their clearly left in their home.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Understood re: actions.)

Anshelm quickly tears strips from the guards' clothing and uses them to bind and gag both.

"An ill wind blows," he says to Tiberius without a hint of irony. "I've a feeling we need to get to Mizer quickly...onward?"

Alexis said...

Udo will step into sight...he's been hiding in a doorway. He is looking at you both with new respect.

The combat went fairly easy for both of you; only 1 real point of damage each, and two fairly clumsy watchmen who couldn't hold onto their weapons.

Nevertheless: Anshelm can take 60 X.P., Tiberius can take 70 X.P.

Alexis said...

Pardon me, that should be 90 X.P. for Tiberius.

Don't forget that Anshelm adds 10% and Tiberius adds 5%.


(OCC: Hey, let me know how you felt about the first combat)

Tiberius said...

"Yes, I feel you may be right," Tiberius says. Once he's sure the guards are secure where they are and not going anywhere, he'll ask Udo to continue taking them to Herr Mizer's house.

(OOC: The first combat was exciting, I felt. Especially, since it seemed to go our way and then their way one round after another. I was not really sure who was going to win. The stun rules seem to add to the tension, and makes what would normally be a back and forth hitting contest very exciting indeed.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Great combat. I had initial reservations about your d6 system, but I actually like the uncertainty it brings. Stunning adds an interesting wrinkle, and the fumble/breakage rules are cool.)

Before we set off, Anshelm will knock out the one conscious guard, using the pommel of his sword.

Alexis said...

(Yes, I fell in love with this rule system the first time I tried it. I had always disliked the back-and-forth as you called it).