Friday, March 6, 2009

Campaign: The Meyer Homestead II

As Frau Meyer walks towards the mill, Delfig finds himself waiting in front of the house door, where the various children of the house watch him. The three older children, two boys and a girl, all younger than ten, seem somewhat fearful. The girl in particular watches Delfig with large, worried eyes.

The three year old boy sits against the door jamb and plays with a blade of grass he's just found. He blows on it again and again, watching it dance as he grips it.

Soon Frau Meyer returns, with Herr Meyer. Delfig sees them coming across the grass towards him. A chicken steps daintily out of their way.

"Yes?" asks Herr Meyer.

66 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

While waiting, I'll smile at the children. The sun feels nice on my back and a part of me wishes that I could be successful at my music and dance so I could afford a place such as this.

I'll gauge Herr Meyer as he walks up, if he's armed or seems wary.

If he seems just curious or normal, I'll smile and nod. "Herr Meyer, I am Johann. I come from Dachau and I would like to speak to you a moment about business..." I'll motion him to walk with me towards the group.

If he seems on guard or wary, I'll bow at the waist. "Herr Meyer, I've been asked by a mutual acquaintance to speak you privately about a matter of great concern. Will you walk with me a moment to speak to me?" I'll motion us to move towards the area where the group is.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (to use Josef's term :) ):

"Get the body out of sight," hisses Anshelm.

Even though it's May and thus summer, is there any brush/undergrowth that we can use to cover up the bloody mess where Ells' head used to be?

Alexis said...

Delfig,

He seems only curious and normal. He will come forward a couple of steps at your urging, but he will stop and ask, "What is this about?"

(point of fact: the rest of the group is at least fifty yards away, across half the meadow and behind the top of the rise)

Anshelm,

Plenty of last fall's dead leaves, and fresh grass. There cart track is made of dirt, and can be scratched with a toe and stamped down again. There's no trouble removing the evidence.

There is a edgy, metallic odor of blood that remains...the day is getting summery, and there is little wind.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I smile again. "Herr Meyer, I've been asked to discuss a matter with you of some importance... I can assure you that I mean you no harm, I only wish to talk to you. My assistant has lagged behind me and I am waiting for him to join us. Please, it's a lovely day and I believe you will benefit from the talk..." I motion and walk slowly.

Alexis said...

He doesn't answer. He clearly doesn't trust you. "Melanie. Go into the house."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Scheiß!)

"Herr Meyer, you are not in any danger. Please, come talk with me. If I wanted to harm you, I would have done so without regard."

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"Act natural when Delfig and our mark get here," snaps Anshelm. He paces a bit after taking a generous amount of snuff.

"What are we going to tell our employer?" he asks Josef. "Why did you do this?!"

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(all the while keeping his voice low so as not to sour whatever Delfig's got going on)

Alexis said...

Meyer's voice rises a bit as he feels threatened. "What is this? Who are you?"

Kazimir said...

Kazimir whispers "We'll tell him that the smith came out swinging with a cudgel and that the poor cur couldn't get out of the way in time." He hefts his club and glances over his shoulder. "My gut tells me the smith ain't going to be in much of a position to say otherwise."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I sigh and shake my head. "Please Herr Meyer, do not yell at me. I am Johann Keschel and I come on behalf of a mutual business partner. I was sent to inquire as to your living arrangements and your use of this land."

Tiberius said...

Tiberius curses. "Looks like Delfig has his hands full. Should we go and help him?"

Kazimir said...

(OOC point of info: Can we clearly hear the conversation between Meyer and Delfig?)

Joseph said...

Oh yeah, that's true. Disregard my earlier comment if that is the case.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - it's 50 yards. I'm not sure how Alexis will rule that, but I'm thinking if he was yelling, perhaps you'd hear it, but at 50 yards, you'll hear voices but not discrete words. That's my guess, FWIW)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm considers Kazimir's words for a second. "You're probably right, but if Josef did this to help the smith, I can't see how the story would accomplish that aim..."

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

OOC: One of us could always take a peek into the meadow to see how it's going; body language will tell us, I'm sure...probably a good idea as we've got to figure out how to handle this situation!

Kazimir said...

Kazimir says "I meant we tell Mizner that the smith came out swinging...like he thought we was an ambush, and poor Ells was standing in the way and took the blow on his skull. We could also tell him we ran afoul of bandits, or that simple Ells fell and dashed his head. Mizner sends us to rough up a family man; I can't see how he'd care much what happens to his own help one way or another."

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"You don't think Mizer will send another crew back here if we fail to our task? And I'm sure the next group won't have our tact and civility!"

Kazimir said...

"Then we'd best not fail. We'll give Delfig a bit more time to wag his silvered tongue, and then if it don't work, we make it nasty and quick and sort the rest out later."

Alexis said...

Delfig,

Meyer’s only answer to your inquiry is a confused “What?”

Kazimir,

Not very clearly, no. You can see from their positions it is not going well.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"Again, friend, you may be right. Can anyone see how Delfig fares with the smith?"

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

OOC: Ignore Anshelm's last question. I posted while Alexis was posting. So we know it's going badly.

Josef Mieszko said...

(OOC: Sorry - just got home from work - and internet seems buggy due to storms here...i cross fingers)

I would drag the body some 100+ feet into the woodds and sit it against the widest tree aI could find facing away from the house and (ideally) out of easy view from the road.

I would take the patch he showed to the toll-takers, and then sit and pray for 10 minutes to help guide his soul through the roots into the ground.

Then rejoin the group (everyone but Delfig as I understand)

Kazimir said...

(OOC: Alexis, how far apart are Delfig and Meyer standing? Kazimir is considering a shot with the sling if things start to really go south... for instance, if Herr Meyer should suddenly produce a weapon)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"This land, Herr Meyer.. is it your land or do you indeed rent from a merchant in Dachau? I was sent to inquire if you were leaving the lands or not."

(OOC - man, the natives are getting restless, already laying down firing lanes and targets...)

Josef Mieszko said...

In answer to Anshelm (and others present)- "He was a werewolf.
He was cursed and I gave him sleep.
You may not have seen his curse, but I did."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC now I know I'm hooked when I'm refreshing this page about every 5 to 10 min...)

Tiberius said...

Tiberius sees that the situation is not going well. "Let me give our friend Delfig some help." He hands his weapons to his companions so as to appear less threatening and walks towards Herr Meyer and Delfig.

TIberius plans to walk to the two and cast Charm Person at Herr Meyer once he's within range, but hopefully beyond range so that Meyer won't be able to react in time.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC *shakes head - patience young Jedi! You're just dyin' to use that spell!*)

If Delfig sees Tiberius, he'll motion him over. "See, there is my assistant now. Helmut! Over here!" I'll wave to Tiberius.

If I don't see Tiberius... well... LOL

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm blinks. "A werewolf, eh? We'll discuss this when we deal with the present situation."

OOC: Going to wait to see what turn this situation takes...

Alexis said...

I've had a crisis, which has been managed. Been away from any computer. Let me catch up.

Alexis said...

Josef,

He’s unlikely to be found by anything human. Earlier (yesterday), the patch was taken by Delfig, and is in his possession.

Kazimir,

Delfig and Meyer are standing about 10’ apart. For any shot you make, if you roll a “2” on a d20, you hit Delfig.

Delfig,

Meyer: “I rent from the Baron von Asper. This is HIS land.”


At that point, you will both look and see Tiberius strolling down towards you both. Whereupon Delfig speaks the lines he’s posted.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Upon speaking to "Helmut" (Tiberius) I'll turn back to Herr Meyer.

"Ah, my apologies. I was under the impression that Herr Mizer and you were in negotiations regarding the status of this land."

Josef Mieszko said...

(hope crisis ok :) delfig got the patch. I forgot. ok)
I'm watching Kazimir.

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

Still throwing the spell?

Delfig,

Meyer: "Who in the name of Moses is Herr Mizer?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I hold back my instinct to do a doubletake.

"Herr Meyer, Johann Mizer is a merchant of no small reputation in Dachau. It was my understanding that you and he were negotiating for the use of this land. Are you saying that you deal directly with the Baron?"

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

It does not matter. Meyer rolls a 19 and negates the spell.

Delfig,

(My words regarding Mizer's fortunes at the beer garden: "...an arrangement has been made and a silversmith is to be ousted from his rented property a few miles out of town, so that it will be put under Mizer’s ownership.")

Meyer's answer: "Of course with the Baron. I have no idea who this Mizer individual is."

Tiberius said...

Tiberius frowns when his spell fails to have the desired effect. Looks like he'll have to depend on more mundane methods.

"It doesn't matter whether you know him or not," Tiberius says, impatiently. "He knows you, and you're on his land. That needs to be corrected. Take any grievances you have with your patron, but you will leave here today." Tiberius signals for the others to approach.

Alexis said...

Hey, Tiberius, I just noticed something.

Under my druid, it says that "Charm person or mammal" affects one hit die per level. Under the mage spell, it says one creature. The second description, under mage, is faulty. It should also read, one hit die per level.

I will understand if you wish to exchange spells given this development.

Alexis said...

Meyer will look at Tiberius. "What? What are you talking about?"

Joseph said...

Huh, that's interesting. I'll have to think about it. Can you give me until tonight?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Good thing I refreshed and saw Tiberius's post - and Alexis's response. I'll hold pending Tiberius's response)

Tiberius said...

"I mean that you, your wife, your children, everyone, have been to commanded to leave on the authority of the owner of this land, Herr Mizer. If you do not do so, there will be consequences."

Alexis said...

While I'm thinking about it, Meyer will back up, keeping his 10' distance from the two of you.

Alexis said...

Joseph,

You can have until the following campaign morning.

Tiberius,

Meyer: "Where is your writ of seizure?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Tiberius, are you going to keep interacting or are we backing up to when you tossed your spell?)

At Tiberius's words, I hold up my hands "Now, we don't need to be so hasty, good Helmut. I'm sure Herr Meyer here is a reasonable man and doesn't need to be threatened so."

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm sighs as he sees Tiberius motion the group forward (or hears this from Kazimir).

"Well, we'd best present a united front, eh, friends?" he says, replacing his sling in his belt pouch and unsheathing his sword.

Josef Mieszko said...

BTW _ my internet is genuinely janky.
If I take too long to respond assuming I am towing the party line

Tiberius - what kind of signal did you give? A wave? A whistle? Kazimir is the only one of us in line-of-sight to you.

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will advance with Anshelm. He has put his sling back on his belt and is carrying his club and shield, but he doesn't have them raised yet.

Tiberius said...

DId we ever get one from Herr Mizer? If so, he will pull that out. If not, Tiberius will pull his writ of passage from his backpack, relying on the fact that silversmith cannot read. Either way, he will say.

"See? We have the right of law on our side, Herr Meyer."

Joseph said...

Tiberius gave a wave.

Alexis said...

No, you never got one from Mizer.

Meyer might be willing to step forward to see your writ of passage--more likely he would insist on you opening it up and showing it. However, just then he sees Anshelm and Kazimir coming over the hill, armed...and Meyer leaps and runs towards the woods.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius curses. He shouts over at Anshelm and Kazimir to run after Meyer into the woods. He turns over to Delfig. "Let's go and secure the wife and children. Perhaps we can use them to force Meyer to be reasonable."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I look at Tiberius sourly. "Excellent job. Now you've scared him away. I'm not going to 'secure' women and children, and to suggest that is abhorrent."

I take off running after Meyer. "Wait! Do not let my associates scare you away. We mean you no harm!"

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(Gah, why'd I pull out the sword?! I'm facepalming for real right now.)

Anshelm curses and runs to cut off Meyer's escape.

Alexis said...

Delfig is fairly close on Meyer's heels, perhaps twenty-five feet behind. Meyer jumps through a patch of hawthorne bushes and goes cutting off between the trees, making no attempt to look back over his shoulder at the house. He pays no attention to Delfig. His path is straight as an arrow.

The terrain and vegetation, as I said, is full of deadfall and quite dense, but Meyer's path is fairly open, suggesting that a lot of this patch of the forest has been managed. At any rate, Delfig has a little trouble keeping up only because Delfig is in leather armor, while Meyer is unarmored.

By the time Anshelm is able to reach the edge of the woods, he has no idea where either Delfig or Meyer is.

Tiberius said...

Having no weapon, Tiberius will stay where he is.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Anyway I can put on a burst of speed and tackle him?)

"Wait, please!"

Josef Mieszko said...

(!the horror!)
with kazimir on the move, I'll go to the top of the rise. I will approach the structure connected to the mill, putting my mace on belt and readying the sling.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm curses and sheathes his blade.

"Well, at least we've got five gold to show for our troubles," he says.

"Tiberius, where'd they go?"

Kazimir said...

Kazimir pursues as told.
How fast is Meyer? Are we gaining on him at all?

Alexis said...

Kazimir is in the same circumstance as Anshelm. No idea where they are. Delfig, you're having trouble just keeping up!

(I'm going to have to suspend this until perhaps Monday. I am being pulled in too many directions at the moment)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

At some point, I'm going to realize that I'm not going to catch him. I'm going to let him go and return back to join our companions and then continue this on Monday!

(OOC - have a great weekend!)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

OOC: A cliffhanger! Not a problem, Alexis. Take care of the real world first.

Josef Mieszko said...

cheers!
have a good weekend ya'll