Thursday, March 5, 2009

Campaign: The Meyer Homestead

The cart track rises over a small spur, a mere thirty foot climb, from where you can look down into a small meadow a hundred yards across, on both sides of the stream you’ve crossed twice. From where you are, the varying structures are on the opposite bank…but the stream is quite shallow and filled with stones, fashioning a wide ford.

At one point a channel has been cut into the stream, and above the channel a well-placed dam across the stream creates a substantial pool, thirty yards across—this feeds into the channel, creating a rushing flow before the water is restored to the natural stream bed. The rushing water powers a waterwheel, built by all appearances by a master craftsman, connected to a cylindrical structure twenty feet in height and twenty feet in diameter. The shingles on the roof of the cylinder have been replaced in the last three years, and the building appears to have been painted the previous fall—it is a bright, forest green in color.

Near this structure, to the right, is a low, flat stone and plaster house, crystal-white in color, with glazed glass windows set into expertly fitted frames, quite symmetrical to the eye. A stoop, with a wooden awning to protect the main door from the weather, extends in a cobbled stone half-circle ten feet from the house, to a graciously tailored yard where chickens and three piglets are at the moment feasting. A woman is assiduously cleaning the house’s windows. Further to the right is a barn, smallish but much in the same condition as the mill, also painted recently and in the same forest green. Between the barn and the river is planted an extensive vegetable garden, showing a smudge of green to suggest the first shoots rising. Squinting your eyes, you can see four children, on their knees, appearing to weed the garden.

57 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(As I mentioned, I'm moving ahead with the other two, but behind them.)

I would motion quietly that we should stay in the woods and observe for a moment, behind trees.

Joseph said...

Can Tiberius cast Armor before going?

Alexis said...

If Tiberius wants to.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

I agree with Delfig: check out the physical area first, see what we can see, then split if need be from there.

Alexis said...

Surrounding the buildings I've just described there is little else, except meadow and the thick forest. Upon closer examination you may see a small, from here indefinible collection of wooden frames on the stream below the house, and twenty yards from that a hefty sawhorse.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will cast Armor that morning before collecting his 5 gp.

At the homestead, Tiberius will wait for Delfig and Anshelm to complete their observations of the area.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - the meadow is 100 yards across. Assuming 20 yards for structure in the middle, we should be able to circle around and observe what else is behind it, staying in the forest.)

I'll extremely quietly confer with the other two - suggest that one of us makes a slow circle around the place, staying in the woods, walking quietly, to observe and see what we can see.

Josef Mieszko said...

(back at the ranch
'you know Hund - beets are and aphrodesiac
I suppose you know enough about that...'

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm offers to reconnoiter.

"I'm not sure how successful I'll be; the undergrowth is quite thick here, and there are several ears in the meadow that might hear. I can only hope they'll be preoccupied with their work to notice a stranger thrashing about in the brush!"

Taking a look at the meadow again, Anshelm takes a bit of snuff before saying, "I'm not sure if we could ford the stream while in the woods, either. At the very least, I'll be able to get a closer look at the homestead."

Alexis said...

(sound of rolling dice)

Although you move considerably from the edge of the meadow, it becomes clear to the observers hidden near the cart track that the residents of the homestead can hear something moving in the bushes. The mother calls her children to come to the door of the house, and goes herself to collect the three year old from where it continues to sit on the vegetable garden. Beyond peering into the woods, the mother seems unconcerned.

At any rate, you will find there is nothing special to be seen on the far side of the homestead, except that the house has no back door and the door to the mill is on this side.

Josef Mieszko said...

(back at the ranch)
must rut like a dog...
mizer ever buy a woman for you Ells?
Eh?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Do we hear any sounds of "smithing" or other metalwork coming from the structure?

"Hmm. Nobody else about and the lady of the house appears to be watchful, but did not call for her husband. He may not be home. I suggest we send one person to act friendly and inquire as to his whereabouts."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Josef, yer crackin' me up!)

Josef Mieszko said...

(creepy...ha ha)

Josef Mieszko said...

Kazimir? You up doing recon?

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

OOC: I was running those same percentages in my head while typing my last few messages...1st level thieves!

Anshelm works back to where Josef and co. are standing.

"I don't think they'll be surprised to know someone's about. It doesn't look like we'll be surprised by anything, either, however...."

Josef Mieszko said...

I think we should use our "L" to show the silversmith what's coming his way...
who doesn't get the message of a body in his yard at sundown?

Alexis said...

Delfig,

If there were any sounds coming from within the mill, they would be drowned out by the sound of the wheel going round and round and the gushing water.

Anshelm,

It’s likely they think you’re a beet.

Josef Mieszko said...

(! - I don't have a horsehead handy to leave in his bed...)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Delfig, having made his suggestion about sending one person up to inquire to the smith's whereabouts, waits for a response.

Josef Mieszko said...

I think that's a good idea.
Among some other ones...
Those who go up to the house should probably have some story ready...
some commission or something...

Josef Mieszko said...

say we're the travelling part of 'Baron Tiberius'
I'll juggle sling bullets!

Anshelm Helbelinc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Delfig shakes his head.

"If we go up there like an army, we're liable to get a bad response. One of us goes up there, inquires if he's about, then asks to speak to him on behalf of Mizer. Bring him over here, and we can have a discussion. The rest of us can be waiting for him to arrive."

Josef Mieszko said...

I almost bought a leash & collar- too bad - would look appropriate on our chapperone...
He could do play fetch, shake...etc

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - actually, I believe I'm bigger than Tiberius.)

"I don't think imposing will draw him out."

Josef Mieszko said...

'the beet-lover holds a pass that would signify such a thing...'

Anshelm Helbelinc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Josef Mieszko said...

no no - not imposing! rich! rich-looking.
a messenger for an important man...
I could don ys robe of araby and speak with the doorman...
though my teeth sometimes talk ahead of me

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

*sigh* (OOC, I'm going to regret this.)

I see if Ells will give me the pass. I will then march my bad-feeling-about-this butt up to the house and greet the woman.

"Good day Frau. Is Herr Meyer about?"

(OOC - *smack Josef*)

Josef Mieszko said...

(put on your finest! :) )

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

I thought I said I came back after a look around...

I'm fine being separated, though. :)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - So you're ruling that Anshelm didn't work his way back, from above? If that's the case, I'll hold off moving until he does come back from his reconnoiter)

Alexis said...

Delfig,

Before you speak, I think I'll have to mention that some twenty yards from the house, as you approach, you will see the small cross of David over the door.

Also before you speak, the woman of the house will raise a hand in greeting. "Good day Sir."

Josef Mieszko said...

i apologize
i was speaking to characters not present with mine.
it is a difficulty with PBP - splitting the party, and also never knowing when the other players are going tp contribute...
I have been trying to think of some strategies to deal with this

Alexis said...

I missed his return. My apologies. We'll say that he's returned, then. Josef, please cut down on the unnecessary dreck.

Josef Mieszko said...

I cast command at Ells using the word 'Sleep'

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

OOC: Good deal. Sorry for any confusion on my end!

Alexis said...

Ells makes no move to disrupt the spell and conks out. Spell only lasts for 12 seconds.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Crap! I have to leave in next 10 min for next 2 hours roughly.)

I raise my hand. "Guten Tag, Frau. Is Herr Meyer here?"

[SOI - if he is, I'll ask him to come out and come walk with me to speak of a matter regarding the landowner Mizer. If he comes peacefully, I'll walk him over to the party. If he won't come, I'll rejoin the party and relate what happened.

If he is not around, I will ask the woman when he'll return, then rejoin the party and relate what I've found.]

Josef Mieszko said...

I'll wait 5 seconds.
If no one else make a move I'll smash him with my mace

Alexis said...

(OOC: No worries - I have to suspend presently also)

"Herr Meyer is in his shop. Will you wait while I fetch him?"

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm's eyes widen and, keeping his voice low so as not to alert Delfig or the goodwife, hisses "What are you doing?!" to Josef.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

OOC: Gah, the suspense!

Alexis said...

Suddenly, before anyone else can take action, Josef puts Ells out of the misery that is his life.

10 X.P.

Josef Mieszko said...

(I have to soon also)
"He is a werewolf."
I smash him with my mace

Josef Mieszko said...

ok. I'll start dragging the body into the woods.

(anshelm - you're not here with me! you are elsewhere!)

Josef Mieszko said...

(i'll have to stop for a while too)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

OOC: Josef, I am. See Alexis' comment above.

Alexis said...

Let me recap, then:

Anshelm, Tiberius and Kazimir are watching Josef dragging the dead body of Ells into the woods, on the rise overlooking the meadow and homestead.

Delfig has been asked if he will wait while Frau Meyer fetches her husband.

March 5, 2009 2:01 PM

Josef Mieszko said...

WHAT!
OK
Look.
we were not on the rise!
we were BEHIND the rise!
that's why I stayed behind
while they went forward to scout!
I would not have done that
in view of the house

Joseph said...

Wow, I missed quite a bit.

Josef Mieszko said...

yes - anshelm and I are together.
tiberius - up at wood's edge
kasimir - according to end of last post,
up at woods edge
that is my understanding of the tactical sitch

Alexis said...

Josef,

Relax. The rise is NOT a wall. Where you are, you cannot be seen from the house.

Alexis said...

There are going to be misunderstandings. I am not, as some DMs might, going to interpret those misunderstandings in such a way as to contribute to the injury or killing of a player character. If it happened that anyone were to do anything which was as such misconstrued (for example Anshelm's exact location), I would prefer to simply rescind my statement and requalify.

Thus, if I recap everyone's location, it is with the expectation that this will be corrected if there is something I have misunderstood. I will only stand on principal if it something has been written by a character which cannot in all reason be misconstrued...such as, "I smash him with my mace."

I hardly have to split hairs to find reasons to kill party members. All I have to do is (very rationally) posit that Johann Mizer possesses a crystal ball.

Josef Mieszko said...

hee ehe

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I nod my assent. "Of course, Frau."