Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Campaign: the North Gate II

As I understand it, Kazimir and Delfig are approaching the North Gate to converse with the guards there. More about it I don’t know. The weather has been described on the previous post. There has been no rain yet, but it promises to start at any time.

The guards are concerned mostly with the sky. It is the players’ move at this point.

39 comments:

Kazimir said...

Kazimir says to Delfig, "You're better with words, Herr Bard. After you..."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will have the crucifix very handy. I've made sure that my weapons are well behind me and I'm as non-threatening as I can be, given my general look.

"Guards! Please, I must speak to whoever is your captain. I bring tidings of this evil storm that Hornung must hear about! Please, I've been sent by the Friar to seek Hornung to prevent darkness from coming upon us all! We are all in danger! This is no ordinary storm, but an evil that will descend upon us all! I bring proof that Hornung would want to see!"

Alexis said...

The guards don't seem very moved by your entreaty; while they are not unduly rude about it, you are told basically to "shove off."

"I've got my duty," says the leader of the guards, "And it doesn't involve running errands. And while I don't like rain, I see nothing unusual in this sky. Move on--the gates are closed!"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - any chance of a charisma-based effort that I could persuade them to at least send someone for Hornung? Or is that just wishful thinking?)

I glance at Kazimir and that "Oh crap, Plan B" look comes into my eyes.

Alexis said...

(OCC: The reaction adjusted roll did not go that well for Delfig).

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

OK, then we'll leave the gate and start scouting for an appropriately covered/quiet/unguarded spot along the wall, say at the junction of a tower as you described, as quickly as we can.

(Appropriate, the word verification is "stormi")

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

One additional question - you mentioned the doors that are in the walls. Is it known if they are warded from the inside similar to the river, or simply locked or are they guarded/patrolled?

If they're simply locked, and unguarded, I'm considering attempting to pick locks and open it for Kazimir.

Alexis said...

Typically such doors are 2 ft by 4 ft in size, made of iron, recessed and lacking in outside handles or locks. These are doors such as that which appeared in the Two Towers. One could not be opened without a knock spell. Yes, they are probably warded, but you can't know without first attempting to detect traps.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Delfig confers with Kazimir very quickly, for they both realize that neither of them have a rope.

"Then we'll climb separately. I'll climb first, gain the top, go down the other side and find a convenient hiding spot. I'll wait for you to make the attempt. Worst case is that you do not, then I'll go seek out Hornung myself and we'll try to meet up at the North gate."

Delfig moves everything on him to a convenient position and climbs the wall. (I rolled a 31 *whew* *sweats the Alexis d6*) He'll quickly peek to see if there are guards nearby. If not, he'll climb down the other side (do you want a roll for that as well?) and then hide somewhere convenient but out of sight for Kazimir to attempt the climb.

Alexis said...

Delfig,

(OCC: One action at a time, please. You anticipate too much)

"A convenient position." What exactly does this mean? Somewhere in the center of a curtain wall, the outside of a tower, in the joint between the wall and the tower? I'll need some specifics.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Gotcha. I was following up to previous post that "we'll leave the gate and start scouting for an appropriately covered/quiet/unguarded spot along the wall, say at the junction of the wall and tower as you described, as quickly as we can."

We're looking for a place that doesn't have guards on the wall, in the towers that can see us, preferably in shadows.

Alexis said...

As the wall is about twenty feet wide, it isn't possible to see if anyone is up there from the ground. But having selected the place, you'll note plenty of hand-holds for a thief. The tower rises about thirty feet higher than the wall, and beginning about twenty-five feet above the ground, there are several arrow slits, staggered to the top of the tower.

Alexis said...

Sorry,

Roll a d100.

Kazimir, if you're out there, let me know if you want to attempt to climb this. If you do, you must be unarmored.

Kazimir said...

(OOC: Even leather will prevent a climbing attempt? If so Kazimir will not attempt the wall for now, as he doesn't like the idea of stashing his armor outside.)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Rolled an 11. That's not good if the d6 rolls a reversal. I was thinking about this - I think that the only thing the d6 switch approach would do is force cheaters to report middle of the bell curve rolls, since the d6 swap is more going to affect the really high/really low rolls. I'm not particularly worried about it, but it does give the effect of having to do two rolls for success, instead of one. Just my .02... you're the boss, it's your rules and I'm good with either way.)

Delfig will, if successful, climb to the top, peek around to see if he sees any guards, then move over the wall and climb down.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - maybe roll the d6 only on the outliers of the bell curve? I dunno. Aside from using verifiable online rollers, I'm not sure what system works well enough.)

Alexis said...

Kazimir,

It occurs to me that I can make an exception with the leather armor since you are an assassin, provided it isn't studded leather.

Delfig,

(OCC: yes, the middle bell curve problem occurred to me also. That is particularly relevant with ability checks. Which is why I never intend to indicate what you're rolling for, unless it is "to hit")

Climbing the wall (successfully), you will reach to the bottom edge of the curtain wall, where you'll realize there are three guards about ten feet from where you are. They are fairly lax at the moment, hardly concerned with thieves climbing the walls, and quite distracted at the impressive sight of the lightning over their heads.

A few salient points: one of the guard's backs presents a fairly nice target. It is possible, despite your size, to squeeze into the arrow slit twenty feet to your right and a bit lower down. Your hands are getting cold hanging onto the stone, but you could probably hang a few feet to your left (under the curtain wall) for a few minutes to wait for Kazimir to climb up next to you.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC: Hehehe... of course there are guards. That made the Sadist in me laugh and laugh.)

I'll move for the slit. Do I see if there's a door leading from the tower onto the top of the wall, or a slit that can provide fire from a crossbow onto the guards? Not that it matters, but I'm thinking more about Kazimir if he's seen.

Alexis said...

There is a door leading from the top of the wall into the tower. There is a slit above that door, but the one I referred to earlier (where the guards could not observe you) looks out at the ground in front of the wall.

Kazimir is wisely concealed at the base of the wall and would not be visible from the arrow slit, or even if someone were to look over the wall (being 30' down and in the shadow caused by the storm filled sky)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll stuff myself through the slit and deal with what's on the other side. *gulp*

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - I wonder if your site traffic counts are up from us hitting "refresh" to get the latest post. *chuckle*)

Kazimir said...

(I'm feeling lucky, and my armor is just plain cowhide leather, not studded. To avoid being left outside by himself, Kazimir will attempt to climb "up the shadow." Do I see guards along the wall?)

Alexis said...

Delfig,

The wall you are pushing yourself through is 10 feet thick. Inside, you find yourself in a circular room which conforms to the wall of the tower: the tower is about 40' wide, so the room within is only 20' in diameter. There are three exits/entrances: a trap door in the floor, with a small ten foot ladder laying on top of it. A trap door in the ceiling, with no apparent way to enter it. And a heavy reinforced door on the side corresponding with the location of the curtain wall. There are three arrow slits, including the one you just came through

The room is somewhat sparse: there is a bed with an individual asleep in it, just to your left; various household items, such as a table, cups, plates a wooden candlestick, a bucket on the floor, a lantern hanging from the ceiling; and three heavy crossbows hanging on the walls, each next to a full quiver strung next to it.

Kazimir,

I will need you to roll a d100.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

One arrow slit facing out. One arrow slit facing the curtain wall (based on earlier description) - does the third face inwards or corresponding to the other side of the tower where the curtain wall might continue?

Does the door have any obvious lock or barring mechanism on it?

I'm going to move to the door, quietly, drawing my long sword and pause to listen if the guards notice Kazimir coming up.

Kazimir said...

(OOC: d100 die roll is 10. A screenshot can be provided if necessary)

Alexis said...

You forget, you are at the moment below the top of the curtain wall; the arrow slit above the curtain wall was above you, this one was to the right and slightly lower. All three arrow slits face out.

The door appears to be barred on your side.

To hear anything, roll a d100.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - light goes on: There are three exits/entrances: a trap door in the floor, with a small ten foot ladder laying on top of it. A trap door in the ceiling, with no apparent way to enter it. And a heavy reinforced door on the side corresponding with the location of the curtain wall.

Now that makes sense. Is the individual sleeping a guard?

86.

Alexis said...

Kazimir,

With some difficulty, and some concern, you steadily make your way up the wall. This will take you about two minutes to ascend 30'. But you don't fall during this time.

Delfig,

You can't know if the sleeping individual is a guard or not, but there is no uniform evident in the small pile of clothes on the box the foot of the bed.

You do not hear anything when you listen at the door.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(What are my chances/options for doing a subdual "coup de grace" so I can knock said person out, like a sword hilt to the head? If I don't have any real options, I'll go for plan B.)

Alexis said...

Delfig,

Depends on the level. You approach him; move silently; if you fail that, you surprise 4 in 6 (assumes otherwise that he wakes up). If you surprise, you are +4 to hit a prone a prone person and +4 to hit by virtue of being a thief. A successful hit does double damage. If you do more than a quarter of his hit points (stun), you'll get a second chance to hit at +4. This works each time you stun. If you choose to fight to subdue, and you do sufficient damage, he'll be "knocked out."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Then that's what I'm going to do. I'll quietly approach him/her and hit to do subdual damage to knock him/her out, hopefully without that person crying out.

Alexis said...

You don't move silently, but he does not wake up. Roll a d20 (and roll damage).

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

d20 - 6
d8 - 4

(I didn't add modifiers, I have none from my CRS. I figured by your description that you'd add any relevant mods.)

Alexis said...

CRS?

The 4 becomes an 8 with doubled for the "back-stab." It's quite clear that he isn't going to wake up any time soon.

Kazimir said...

(OOC: Have I yet reached the top? Can I follow Delfig in?)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(CRS - Character Record Sheet)

Awesome. Something finally went right. I'm going to use a bedsheet to make a crude gag, gag him up. I'm also going to make crude ropes and tie his arms and legs.

Is there a way to prop up the ladder so I can reach the trapdoor in the ceiling? Does it open or is there some sort of hook to hang it from so I can reach up?

Alexis said...

Kazimir will crawl in the window as Delfig is halfway through the process of tying up the sleeper; together you'll make fast work of it.

Let's leave it there for the day. Things are happening on this end.

Alexis said...

Delfig can take 30 X.P.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Awesome! We'll see you tomorrow.

Thank you for the very engrossing, detailed and fun game so far. Regardless any bumps in figuring it out, I'm having a really good experience and learning a lot from being a part of this. Thank you.)