Thursday, March 5, 2009

Campaign: Gathering the Party

Jumping ahead, the evening winds down and the various members of the party find their way back to the Pig. It is agreed that Tiberius and his friends will appear after breakfast to collect their front fee.

Last night it rained again, more heavily this time, with lightning shaking the tavern’s rafters with its force. As the sun rises, the sky is clear, and it promises to be a beautiful day. In many places on the street and in the square, where the drainage is poor, there are large ponds left from last night’s rain. As the party emerges from the Pig to eat on the outside porch, the temperature already cool but comfortable, there are three kittens licking at the puddle just a few yards away.

Who will go to the Merchant’s Hall for 5 g.p.?

(OOC: Don’t worry about if you arrive late. I’ll slip you in whereever along the events as they progress)

19 comments:

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm will go.

Alexis said...

We'll wait to see if anyone else will.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Delfig will go, but he continues to be very quiet, and has a troubled look on his face.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm takes Delfig aside.

"Delfig, have you a thought you'd like to share? I'm not terribly happy at being Mizer's brute squad, but it's money. Who knows, we may even find a way to help our silversmith and put the sting to our new employer."

Josef Mieszko said...

I'll collect a share of his gold.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I shake my head at Anshelm's words and whisper to him.

"I have a sense of ill winds about this. I think we are getting into the middle of something quite larger than ourselves. I have no wish to 'sting' a powerful merchant, neither do I have a wish to be marked by the common men as a lackey to the greedy. It's a bad situation all around."

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"My friend, I would think that you of anyone would know that life often puts one in such a situation. I've no love for greedy merchants, but I've no particular loyalty to the folk of this village, either."

Anshelm scratches his head thoughtfully before continuing.

"Besides," he says with a grin, "If we manage to come out of this situation alive - and believe me, I feel some of the foreboding you do - think of the songs you'll spin about it all!"

Alexis said...

Recognizing that there are some doubts, I hesitate to say that Delfig, Josef and Anshelm together head off to the Merchant's Hall to accept their starting fee. May we assume that, Josef having already stated his emphatic approval, that Delfig and Anshelm do so?

Kazimir said...

Kazimir will go along.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm definitely does so. He seems the type to put aside moral considerations for the money if necessary. He's learned to live with past misgivings before.

Josef Mieszko said...

I'll think no less of you either way friend Delfig.
Besides - it is true that only through action can we experience life and better understand it, after the fact.
Perhaps the silversmith has a great silver golem that will smash me and my coins six foot underground!
what he offers us today if a pittance to him - one he'd forget he had anyway...

Alexis said...

Then Kazimir, Anshelm and Josef cross the square towards the Merchant's Hall. Delfig and Tiberius perhaps trail along, perhaps not; they will give their positions when possible, and I'll add them to the narrative as necessary.

These three may add 5 g.p. to their wealth. The money is distributed by the clerk on the main floor, who expresses Mizer's apologies for being absent, for he is in a conference with the Lord Mayor's chief tax farmer this morning.

You are introduced to Ells, the dogsbody referred to the evening before--a twenty year old, somewhat unkempt fellow, whose body seems to function poorly. He moves with a strange amble towards you, his left leg seeming a good deal shorter than his right. His face hasn't been cleaned in a few weeks, and he has a distinct body odor. Nevertheless, he knows the way. He expresses in a few words, uttered with difficulty, that it will take until mid-day to reach the silversmith's homestead.

Josef Mieszko said...

what direction?
do you have a cart Ells?
this will be a slow walk...

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Delfig will come along, having had his say. He dresses in his leather armor, has his sword lashed to his belt and his crossbow on his back with bolts in a quiver. He looks rather impressive in his bulk, but he also stays to the rear of the group, his cloak ready to pull up to mask his features.

He takes the 5 gp without comment.

Alexis said...

Josef,

"The vess ruud," Ells answers haltingly. "No kert."

(OOC: I will be continuing the adventure as an original post in a few minutes)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Good point about the armor and weapons...can we assume we've suited up before heading over? Else we'll have to stop at the Pig for a short spell.

Josef Mieszko said...

I would like to do a bit of shopping before we leave

Josef Mieszko said...

ooc: the way I figure it we have no private room at the pig, so we're probably carrying our stuff all the time - but I could be wrong...)

Alexis said...

Being Tuesday, May 6, the market is not open. It will not be until Sunday. However, the Innkeeper's table is available.