This post has been rewritten to align with my present feelings on the subject, though in reality what I wrote then and what I believe now are almost perfectly aligned. I was just able to phrase it better. The present version is available for a nominal $3 fee on Patreon.
The original post argues that D&D players should determine their own purposes within the game world rather than wait for the DM to provide an adventure. It begins with a party standing on a rain-flooded street in Paris, surrounded by artists, teamsters and urban activity. Presented with the freedom to act, a player may fall back upon D&D conventions: a thief searches for a conveniently exposed purse, while the party heads to a tavern and asks where an adventure can be found.
The post rejects the assumption that providing an adventure is the DM's responsibility. The DM creates and runs the world, but the players must decide what they want and devise their means of obtaining it. Their freedom does not protect them from consequences. Random violence may bring guards, imprisonment and execution, while intelligent action may allow them to succeed in ways the DM anticipated.
To illustrate this principle, the post imagines a character named Jack investigating the price of mustard in Paris. By learning about taxes, merchants, shipments and delivery routes, Jack and his companions could intercept twenty or thirty kegs arriving from Dijon. They might steal the mustard or acquire it on account while intimidating the merchant into silence, then offer continued deliveries to the merchant's customers at reduced prices.
Moving the contraband into Paris could require a stolen rowboat, a horse and cart, fog, evasion of river defences and violence against a guard. The result would be an adventure suitable for first-level characters, created from the players' chosen objective. Success could lead to a smuggling operation, bribed officials, commercial rivals, intimidated suppliers and struggles with competing criminals.
The DM's task is to judge whether the players' schemes can work, introduce logical difficulties and accept unexpected solutions. The DM should neither compete against the party nor protect planned material from being overturned. Foolish choices deserve the world's natural response; clever choices deserve recognition and success. The post concludes that a planned adventure becomes destructive when treated as sacred, because the world should offer opportunities that players can seize for themselves.
You kind of started on a, 'what makes a good player is...' line of thought. I'm wondering if you can expand a little on other kinds of 'good players'. I've run across one theory on what makes a good player a number of times. How well does the player understand the rules of D&D and how well can they apply them to the situation they find themselves in - rules lawyers. I wonder what your thoughts might be on rules lawyers in one of your games?
ReplyDelete-Mike
I'm not really making the "better player = better game" argument. I'm saying that the DM must make a freer world for a player to participate in--and thus get killed or succeed according to their own abilities, not according to the DM's whim.
ReplyDeleteThat said, knowing the rules better, or playing the rules lawyer, DOESN'T make a better player, exactly the same way as chess. It just creates the sort of nastiness as the opponent who insists that once you've touched your piece you HAVE to move it...just spoils the game. The rules fanatic wants D&D to be perpetually a tournament, where they compete with the DM and the other players to "win" some perceived victory that only they can understand. Self-promoting and self-directed players spoil a campaign...as egoism always spoils a group activity.
Perhaps I'm the DM because it keeps my egoism in check, hm?
I was curious how a rules lawyer fits into your style of running a game because it is such an easily identifiable behavior.
ReplyDeleteIf I follow you correctly, there would be many other behaviors that can either be a benefit to the game session or a distraction. This depends on the style of game being run. A rules lawyer would be a wonderful asset in a tournament game, but not so much in a more casual game with friends and family on a weekend. There are plenty of other identifiable behaviors around a D&D table.
(I like your approach of looking at it from a behavioral perspective.)
"A rules lawyer would be a wonderful asset in a tournament game..."
ReplyDeleteExactly. You'd want that, to keep the DM from drifting too far from the text and compromising the competitive template.
As far as other identifiable behaviors, the ones I think work best in the game are A) a team attitude, with less carping or pompous breast beating about the greatness of "my" character; B) organization...reducing therefore the annoying sheet flipping when a simple question is asked; C) a serious attitude to the game (chess, for example, is annoying when whomever you're playing picks up the bishops and uses them for walrus teeth); and finally, D) consistency in character development and purpose, far more important that vocalized role-play. Give me a player who is willing to play just one personality type per character and I'm a happy DM. That gives the world around the character something to reflect.
I learn something every time I visit this blog.
ReplyDeleteThis is probably the main reason I have such a problem actually being a player in D&D - I want to play in this type of game, but nobody ever runs one (including me as I lack the confidence). So I chaff at the rails the dm has laid and generally cause trouble. Unfortunately, this type of sandbox campaign play is very intimidating as it seems to require a huge amount of upfront work. It's just easier to run a module, so that's what most dm's do. :(
ReplyDeleteI thought you should I know that I *still* refer to this post, in fact having linked to it today from my online Google Wave game that will be played in my AD&D setting that I blog about.
ReplyDelete