Monday, April 13, 2009

Campaign: Mizer's House III

The situation stands as follows:

Anshelm loads his sling, backing up across the courtyard towards the main gate while two slugs slowly make their way towards him. The first slug now 10’ away, the second 15’ away.

Meanwhile, Tiberius defends a suffering, frightened Udo against an invisible foe—who appears to be on the side of the slugs.

The sky above is a roiling maelstrom of black clouds and soundless lightning, while in the cathedral’s square, a quarter mile away, there is green and blue flame, flashes of white light and deep booming. The domiciles all around, before echoing with screams, have become alive with shouting.

31 comments:

Tiberius said...

"Show yourself!" Tiberius shouts at his unseen assailant, swinging his sword.

(OOC: Rolled a 19 to hit. Rolled an 8 for damage.

Alexis said...

Actually, Tiberius, you miss; this round you can actually see the creature (camouflage failure). It is about 25 feet away, against the wall opposite you and further along the lane. It is human looking, though emaciated and bald, dressed only in a cloth around its waist. It appears to be wounded--you struck it earlier--and is merely standing there and breathing heavily.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Sorry. Meetings, phone calls, meetings, more phone calls.)

Fire another sling bullet, and retreat back toward the gate.

To-hit: 5 (and that's counting DEX! Woo!)
Damage: 3

Tiberius said...

Tiberius approaches with his weapon drawn, keeping a firm eye on the creature. "Who are you? Why did you attack?"

Alexis said...

Anshelm, that's a miss. The slugs continue moving towards you (5' and 10'), blocking your way to the center of the courtyard or to the left or right. They are backing you towards the lane. Action?

Tiberius,

I had earlier described the nature of this variety of creature's voice for Delfig and Kazimir: it is disturbing, a half whisper and quite hollow. "Let the worms kill!" it wails at you. "Let them all die. Flee!"

It then turns to run away. You would have time to hurl a weapon at it.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius draws his dagger and throws it at the creature in one swift motion.

(Rolled a 17 to hit. Rolled a 2 for damage.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Can I get my back to a wall or something at the very least?)

Draw sword and strike at the nearest.

To-hit: 20(!!!!), re-roll: 15
Damage: 5

(Okay, that's probably used up all my good luck for this combat....)

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

Your dagger hits the creature in the back and it falls. It falls into the deep gutter in the center of the lane and stops moving. You find it difficult to see the creature where it's lying; except for the dagger, it would be impossible.

Anshelm,

You double your damage for rolling the 20, making it ten damage. The slug explodes as your sword cuts through it in a wash of lumpy effluse across the courtyard.

The other slug attempts to touch your leg; it rolls a 14. The blow is nothing more than a graze, yet you feel as though touched by acid. Take 1 damage. This will stun up to four hit points, so if that is the number you have, you cannot take action.

Alexis said...

Oh, and Anshelm, I will need you to roll a d20.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: 12 hp, down to 11 at the moment)

Tempting fate with another short sword thrust:

To-hit: 4 (gah!)
Damage: 5 (double gah)

(So much for following that crit with a dramatic flourish....)

Tiberius said...

Sheathing his sword, Tiberius approaches the fallen creature. He pulls his dagger from the creature and turns the body over so that he can see its face.

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

Did we forget, perhaps, that earlier you suffered 5 damage for falling off the top of the gate?

By my calculation you should be down to 6 hp.

The d20 was not to hit, it was a save for your sword as it tore through the acid of the slug. The sword is fine. NOW you may attempt to hit, since that is clearly your intention.

Tiberius,

As the creature is wedged in the gutter, which you will remember is a slot about a foot deeper than the lane, it is difficult to roll him over. You can turn his face, that's about it--but the face suggests nothing familiar.

You will hear Anshelm let out a small cry of pain, however.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius decides to leave the body alone and go help Anshelm. Before he does that, however, he will check on Udo and see how he fares.

(OOC: So, basically, Tiberius moves towards Udo.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: actually, I'm now down to 5hp. I took 1 damage in the guard fight. Forgot to check the notes on my character record, which probably means the main page needs an update)

Okay, trying to-hit again:

To-hit: 7
Damage: 5

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

That's a miss. And I, uh, roll a 20.

And then I rolled another 20, which means 3x damage.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(ouch)

Alexis said...

I could not resist making this two posts. When I roll a damage result against Anshelm, I rolled a 1 on a d8. I am forever doing this sort of thing. The offline party noted on the weekend that I seem to get overjoyed when I do a lot of damage, which is mostly because I get frustrated at doing triple damage for THREE hp.

Take 3 damage. The slug hits you somewhere awfully close to your special package.

Tiberius,

Udo is completely creeped out. He is still cowering in the recessed doorway, fingers clenched on the corner of the wall. Anshelm, who is stunned, will stagger backwards through the Mizer's Gate and into the lane.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Phew! So I'm unable to act this round?

(My "special package"...that's it, the slug thing tried to mess with my belt pouch of tobacco! No quarter!)

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will throw the dagger already in his hand at anything hostile that follows Anshelm from the gate.

(OOC: Rolled a 14 to hit. Rolled a 2 for damage.)

Alexis said...

Anshelm cannot take an action.

Tiberius rounds the corner, hurls his dagger at the slug and hits. It recoils and does not move forward or attack the helpless Anshelm.

Tiberius, roll a d20.

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Rolled a 15.)

Tiberius said...

After throwing his dagger, Tiberius will draw his sword and charge the slug.

(OOC: Rolled a 5 to hit. Rolled a 3 for damage.)

Alexis said...

Anshelm, as the slug was stunned by Tiberius' dagger, you cease to be stunned first. So you are free to attack while Tiberius draws his sword and charges.

Tiberius, you miss.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm takes another stab.

To-hit: 14
Damage: 1

Alexis said...

Anshelm, that hits. The slug, however, is not stunned.

It will attack Tiberius, roll an 8 and miss.

You may both attack.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius swings again at the slug.

(OOC: Rolled an 11 to hit. Rolled a 1 for damage.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

To-hit: 1 (talk about extremes...)
Re-roll (d20 re-roll on fumble, yes?): 14

Alexis said...

d6 re-roll for Anshelm, assuming it is an ordinary sword.

Tiberius misses.

The slug misses Anshelm with a 5.

Anshelm can roll the d6 and then the two of you can attack; if Anshelm rolls a 1 then he'll have to pull a different weapon.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

d6 re-roll: 6

Another stab:
To-hit: 13
Damage: 3

Tiberius said...

Tiberius hacks at the slug with a ferocity brought on by frustration.

(OOC: Rolled a 15 to hit. Rolled a 4 for damage.)

Alexis said...

Anshelm hits first, causing three damage; Tiberius then successfully kills the slug.

At that point we leave this for the day. Well done to both of you.

Anshelm: 180 X.P. +10% = 198
Tiberius: 90 X.P. +5% = 95