Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Campaign: Mizer's House IV

You will find Delfig and Kazimir under yesterday's post, Tower III.

Tiberius and Anshelm catch their breath in the stillness, the slugs dead. The shouts around them have moved farther away but can yet be heard, as can the continued noises coming from the centre of town. The gate hangs open, the body still lies in the doorway of Mizer's house.

What do you do?

30 comments:

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

After seeing that Tiberius and Udo are okay and attending his wounds as best he can, Anshelm cautiously makes his away across the courtyard to Mizer's doorway to inspect the body.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will wipe down his weapons, then check on Udo, providing any first aid he can for the man.

Alexis said...

It takes a few minutes to calm Udo down and convince him things are safe. His leg is poor, but sealed shut and not bleeding, just as the blows Anshelm received.

As for the body in the doorway, it appears to have been a woman and a cook; she is now quite dead.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Can Anshelm hear anything inside the house?

He steps inside the doorway, keeping an eye outside, and waits for Tiberius and Udo to join him.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius allows Udo to lean on him as he makes his way towards Anshelm.

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

Rolling your hear noise, I discover that you can hear very quiet chewing. I don't know if you've ever had the opportunity to listen to a caterpillar invasion...

Tiberius crosses the courtyard towards you.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: I know that well...ick...)

"I'm not sure we'll be very pleased with what we find within," Anshelm calls out the door as Tiberius and Udo approach. "Something is alive in there...."

Tiberius said...

"Let's go inside and see if there's anyone alive to help," Tiberius says, his sword drawn. He walks into the house.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm follows behind Tiberius and Udo.

Alexis said...

Describing the interior, then.

You enter the back kitchen, a space about 20' wide and 10' deep, with a small closet. You would know from experience that this would be the indoor toilet. In the left hand corner, a large fireplace on the stone wall opposite the door, with chimney, and two large doors on either side of the fireplace. A large basin with dishes sits on a low table on your right, and further on your right a large cupboard with dishes

To the far left and along parts of the far wall are many shelves containing pots and pans hanging from pegs plus varying foodstuffs in pottery and glass jars, sacks, bins and boxes.

There are two windows in the room, both on the same wall as the door, showing the courtyard.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm will listen at the doors flanking the fireplace (can he tell if they open on the same room?).

Alexis said...

Judging by the slightly increased sound of munching, yes they do.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will push open one of the doors and walk through.

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

roll a d20

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm sheathes his sword and takes out his sling, loads it, then follows Tiberius.

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Rolled a 12.)

Alexis said...

Anshelm,

roll a d20 also.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: 18)

Alexis said...

Tiberius,

You pull open the door and stop before going any further.

You are looking at a courtyard, 25' wide and 20' deep, and three stories high. A flight of stairs ahead of you rises to the 3' wide gallery on the second floor, and above that you can see the gallery on the third floor. Above that, a dozen windows in the ceiling, each set into its own stone frame, provides the only light in the room...a dim light, admittedly, provided by the cloudy sky, but sufficient. There is little in the room in the way of furniture: benches around the outer walls, a drain in the center, wall sconces with unlit torches, two large eating tables pushed up against the benches on either side. The floor is quite elegant, a slate stone tile in geometric squares, and there are several wall hangings for flourish. There is a great deal of ivy growing over the walls and hanging from the undersides of the galleries above you.

There are ten slugs in the room, feasting on six bodies. If you had walked forward three more steps, you would be surrounded by them.

Alexis said...

Anshelm, who is too bent on following Tiberius blindly, slams into Tiberius from behind as Tiberius stops. Both men lose a round sorting themselves out. The worms stop eating and raise their "heads."

Tiberius said...

Tiberius will wait till Anshelm is clear before closing the door quickly on the feasting slugs.

Alexis said...

The door is closed.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"I'm not sure I've the strength to face that many of the slug-things," says Anshelm. "I've a tinderbox and some lamp oil...if we douse the rags from the corpse in the door, we might be able to set them aflame. Or do we give up our search for Mizer and try to save our own skins?"

Tiberius said...

Tiberius agrees with the plan to rid the house of the infestation. "What do you need me to do?"

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: are there any unlit torches in the kitchen?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: "rid the house of the infestation?" You are likely to rid the house of the house. Your plan is sure to light the benches and tables, particularly if these things are at all flammable, and once the galleries catch on fire...)

But yes, there are unlit torches in the kitchen.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Good point!)

Anshelm breathes heavily, suddenly aware of the wounds he took in the combat.

"Perhaps it was the excitement of the moment, but I'm not sure it's a good idea now. We are in sad shape, and should we fail to destroy the things, we'd surely perish. Still, each of us grab a torch...I know the slugs' smaller cousins abhor flame. These might come in useful if we encounter more."

Taking a look out the door, he speaks again. "Mizer might be done for; I hear no one else within these walls. Perhaps we should find our companions and leave this hellish nightmare?"

Tiberius said...

Tiberius agrees with leaving the house and helps shoulder Udo again after sheathing his sword.

Alexis said...

Udo has had a chance to rest; though he shows appreciation for your offer, he promises that he will be able to move on his own. He thinks that it would be best to move away from the center of town, where the noise continues unabated.

(OOC: Let's pick up tomorrow)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Okay, sorry I was out of the loop for a while. Was called into the boss' office)