Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Campaign: The Merchant's Quarter

Only wanting to start a new thread for simplicity's sake.

Anshelm and Tiberius have yet to tell me what they plan to do, now that they have decided to part from Mizer's house. They are in the lane outside, with Udo their guide urging them to move away from the center of town.

30 comments:

Tiberius said...

(OOC: I kind of want to investigate that blue-green column at the center of town, but I'll let Anshelm weigh in, since he's more wounded. Although, I am running around without any armor on. That's probably pretty dangerous.)

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(Argh, sorry, busy morning again!)

"While I am truly curious about what is happening, running toward the center of town will only bring our deaths," says Anshelm. "I think it may be wiser to find our companions - we were to meet them at the gate before all of this. If they're still alive, we could benefit from having two more along."

Alexis said...

Udo is uncomfortable about going towards any main avenues. He urges you both to follow him to a servant's hostel towards the NE, directly away from the Kirche Platz (cathedral square).

Tiberius said...

Tiberius agrees with Udo and follows him to the hostel.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"What's at the servant's hostel? Someone or something that could help us?"

Alexis said...

Udo doesn't know what is there...only that he knows people there, and that it is a building that might be a defense, if it was not corrupted or overwhelmed by slugs. They seemed to appear everywhere at once.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

"It's better than running around in the open. To the hostel!"

Anshelm follows Tiberius and Udo.

Alexis said...

Please read my last comment on the Delfig/Kaz thread.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Not a problem here. Phones ringing off the hook (a good thing...today, at least!).

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Yeah, it's not a good day today for me, either. Perhaps tomorrow will be better.)

Alexis said...

Anshelm and Tiberius make their way through the streets, led by Delfig. There are quite a number of both bodies and disrupted slugs, where there have clearly been a number of battles. You pass a group of four men successfully killing a slug with spears. There are a dozen people visible on the street with you now, all intent on the horror and not at all on your presence.

Not long after, you hear a new sound--a distinct, loud *crunching/crumbling*. Once, Tiberius heard a sound similar to this, when his old master the Baron pulled down a piece of old stone wall in order to rebuild. He used a score of men with ropes and the 20' wall came down with a great noise.

The sound comes from your left, perhaps a hundred yards away. The street reacts to it markedly, as people turn, see nothing, and back away nonetheless.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm casts a worried look toward the source of the noise and feels his limbs go slack with cold fear.

"How far to the hostel, Udo? Run...now!"

Alexis said...

Udo shouts, "Not far!" and breaks into a limping run down Leiberstrasse (Leiber Road), favoring his leg but yet making good speed. He doesn't look to see if you're following.

Tiberius said...

Tiberius follows Udo and Anshelm with his sword out, just in case.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm has his sling loaded and ready.

Alexis said...

You three come to a large half-timbered house (constructed of predominantly stone in the lower third of its bulk, constructed of all wood in the upper floors). It stands before a small square, thirty feet across, made up predominantly of an open green space rather than stone pavement. There are two small-sized chestnut trees, forty feet high. Behind them, you can see a hunched giant, about 35 feet tall, a hundred yards away, its back to you, intent upon bashing its fists against the 60' tall, 30' wide tower fixed into the city wall. It seems to be making headway, actually breaking its way into the stone (the thickness is about 5 feet).

Udo tries the handle, then hammers on the door of the hostel, calling for it to be opened. All around you, there is a gathering crowd of about 20 people staring open mouthed at the monster.

Tiberius said...

(OOC: Uh... I have a long bow, I guess, if we want to fight this guy. What's the range and damage versus a Large creature for long bows? I don't have access to my books right now.)

Alexis said...

Range: 80 yards.
Damage: d8.

I don't acknowledge that weapons do different damage to creatures on account of their size. You cannot increase the joules (power) delivered because the target is bigger.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: is the tower the giant is smashing to bits near the town gate?)

(Verification word is "scent." I don't know why that's making me laugh.)

Alexis said...

Apparently this comment got lost and I haven't repeated it:

No. The tower being attacked is between the east and north gates.

Alexis said...

A soldier who looks a little battle worn (he has a few burn scars) enters the square from the direction of the giant and begins to direct orders at the men in the square. He wants volunteers, and he's acts as though he's going to get them.

Anshelm feels himself gently grasped on the shoulder from behind.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm whirls about to see who has grabbed him.

Alexis said...

"Patience, my son," says the young curate before you. "You've been injured. May I help?"

Tiberius said...

Tiberius offers his services to the battle worn soldier.

Alexis said...

Anshelm watches as Tiberius joins the troop of trembling men gathering to defend their city.

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

Anshelm stops in mid-motion, staring at the cleric with his mouth hanging open in surprise.

He sputters, "I...yes, please! Those slug-things took us unaware and I fear they've done for our friend Herr Mizer. What...what are these things and who has sent them?!"

Anshelm Helbelinc said...

(OOC: Oops, took too long to make my post.)

"Tiberius!" calls Anshelm. "Why are you going that way? Have you forgotten Delfig and Kazimir?!"

Alexis said...

The cleric doesn't know the origin for the slugs; they simply appeared everywhere when the gate was opened.

He will quickly cast and heal you for 6 hp.

Tiberius said...

(OOC: You keep mentioning the gate, but I don't see any reason that Tiberius would expect Delfig, Kazimir, and Josif to be at the gate. For all he knows, those three are waiting at the cotter's shack.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Tiberius' answer aside, I'm closing this thread for the day. Tomorrow Anshelm has indicated he isn't available, so I will run Tiberius if Anshelm doesn't choose to join him, or not if Tiberius changes his mind about going)